CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Default Page Size For Web  (Read 1311 times)

durango_d

Default Page Size For Web
« on: 25 Dec 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
Sorry my original post was in the wrong section so i had to remove it and repost it here.... ill learn lol

I have read that 960 to 980 is a good default width to have a web page.  But i have one now that is about 1152  and i checked other sites and they too are large.   The 1152 fills up my old 19in display and if i reduce it at all the breakpoint is triggered.  I dont think it should be triggered at such a large size.   Im thinking maybe 62 em would be a better breakpoint.

What number is a good number for max-width (non media) and the first breakpoint for media should be  what number?

Update:   i have set the first break at 55em.  That means on my 19in display i can reduce the page by 1/4 before the first break which is what i was looking for.    I do have larger displays (2) to be exact but i also still use my 19in and wanted to use the normal menu on it.   

Squeeze it Harley! Don't yank it!  It's not your D...!  Squeeze it !

mmerlinn

• Nutcake
Re: Default Page Size For Web
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2019, 02:35:04 pm »
How many donut holes does it take to fill a 6x10 tray

Depends on the diameter and thickness of the donut holes.  It also depends on how many feet deep that your 6 foot by 10 foot tray is.  You can get a LOT of donut holes in a tray deep enough to reach the moon.

As far as your question is concerned, I cannot even begin to answer it as this is a 16 inch screen here.  I was given a 27 inch screen last week, but have not had time to set it up yet. Once I do, I doubt that it would help me in answering your question.
The soul purr pus of a spell cheque cur is two valley date hour ignore ants.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2019, 03:27:41 pm »
To me the very question is flawed and nonsensical, since:

1) You're talking about some arbitrary default size, and not the needs of the content.

2) You're talking in pixels, which is the LAST measurement that should be used in layout.

Content dictates your semantic markup -- content + semantic markup dictates layout. As such your initial layout should adapt to the needs of the content... which is why I build for desktop FIRST according to the needs of the content, typically as wide as the widest I think is practical -- which is usually 20em per sidebar with no column allowed any wider than 48em, as long lines of text are shite wider than that.

Then you keep shrinking the window and adding media queries -- in EM -- as needed.

I never think in a default "size", I let the content and needs of the content (and user) dictate that.

It's like the old BS of "design for 800 friendly at 768px" or "1024 friendly at 976px" BULLCOOKIES, that resulted in broken inaccessible garbage sites.

Fonts in EM, padding in EM, max-widths and fixed columns in EM, media queries in EM, with the CONTENT and content-limits determining how many EM to use.

It also doesn't help you say 'breakpoint' -- SINGULAR. Typically I have anywhere from three to six. Again, make it big, then shrink the window. When the layout breaks, fix whatever broke at that width (in em) with a media query, then lather-rinse-repeat layering queries until your layout works down to around 12 to 16em. (192 to 256px for 16px users, 256 to 384 for users like myself)

Your breakpointS should be based on the needs of the content, NOT some arbitrary predetermined number!
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

durango_d

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2019, 04:39:14 pm »
Depends on the diameter and thickness of the donut holes.  It also depends on how many feet deep that your 6 foot by 10 foot tray is.  You can get a LOT of donut holes in a tray deep enough to reach the moon.

Well the answer actually is however many you want.  Unless you are able to actually calculate a value for the empty middle of a donut :)    As the question was referring to the empty hole rather than the plug that was removed :)  hee hee

Thanks DS, yes i was thinking bass ackwards as usual :)  Ill have to make some modifications :)

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2019, 07:32:47 pm »
Are Google Analytics available on the site?

Check the percentage of mobile users, mine is about 60%.

Is your site Google Mobile Friendly?

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2019, 07:33:19 pm by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

durango_d

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2019, 09:59:38 am »
Yes John it passed A+   sadly the software side still needs tons of work but the website itself did great... thanks :)

L0rd_Cha0s

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2020, 01:31:02 am »
I would suggest focusing on resolution independent CSS layout techniques. I have been using CSS scaling against View Width (vw) and View Height (vh) metrics, including all the font sizes. I have still been including a break point or two for a mobile optimized layout and menus. With the layout being resolution independent it is consistent on all display sizes. Making sure to generate a fine grained set of resized raster images for image srcsets is also a good idea.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2020, 05:00:01 pm »
Making sure to generate a fine grained set of resized raster images for image srcsets is also a good idea.
... and you can avoid that by only using raster images on CONTENT and going with 2x oversampling in an efficient format like webp, then using vector images / font characters for things like iconography... and leverage CSS3 so you're not wasting images on simple template containers.

I also really think that PICTURE is superior to srcsets. It's less convoluted.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement