CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Site template  (Read 1302 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Site template
« on: 23 Oct 2019, 12:49:15 pm »
I know some sections still need work on the new template, I'm plucking away at it, but as this milestone was stable enough for use, I wanted to get it going live for you folks.

Stock templates only get you so far.

This is a hybrid of my code and theirs, I plan once I have a certain paying job out of the way to buckle down and do a complete from scratch skin for this done "the right way". Sadly my idea of "the right way" breaks compatibility with a lot of front-end mods/extensions/plugins/whatever name is trendy for them this week, but I really think this may become an outright fork of SMF.

As it is I've already had to mod it just to get it to not fill up the server logs with errors because we're running "too new" a version of PHP... and I'm REALLY not wild about the direction the next major version of SMF is heading.

Because jQuery.

I'm aware of most of the layout/render bugs and will likely address those this evening.

On top of that I've already made massive extensions to how SMF works on the front end (see the modal logins and search).

Still, if you don't like my template, I'll not lock you out of the two stock ones. You want to switch to one fo the two stock themes, it's in your profile options.

The more adventurous can try the WIP version, but beware that could go bits-up face-down at any time. Whilst I have a local development copy I'm working on, it's always good to have an extra spot where you can manually test things on the real installation before taking it live as the default.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2019, 12:51:59 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: Site template
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2019, 04:13:37 pm »
Hi there jason Knight,,

is that how you want to be addressed in this
august forum or would you prefer your aka?  :)

My real question is, though, is it possible that
the user's local time will become a possibility
in the not too distant future?

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2019, 04:17:30 pm »
august forum or would you prefer your aka?  :)
I was LEGALLY required to use that name online for two decades -- long story. Now that I can be me, I'll be me. Particularly if I'm going to run a tech forums, it's time to stop hiding behind monikers.

My real question is, though, is it possible that the user's local time will become a possibility in the not too distant future?

It should have auto-detected, but if you want to change the displayed time zone go to profile > look and layout, and find the part that says "time offset".

SMF gives you a LOT of options, it's easy to get lost. It's both a blessing and a curse. One of the reasons I prefer it is a great number of things people have to add to forums with "mods/extensions/plugins/whatever's a hot and trendy name for it this week" are built in out of the box.

But it can overwhelm beginners with the depth of its options. I've seen many a webmaster lose their minds trying to understand it's permissions system -- a laugh since to me it's intuitive.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2019, 04:19:51 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2019, 04:38:01 pm »
Hi there jason Knight,

thanks for that.

I have one more question.

Your avatar looks like an English actor whose name,
due to a massive decrease of my neural pathways,
unfortunately eludes me.

Is it possible that you can put the name to the face?

coothead

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2019, 05:08:30 pm »
Your avatar looks like an English actor whose name, due to a massive decrease of my neural pathways, unfortunately eludes me.
Michael Gough, aka Alfred in the Tim Burton Batman movies.

In this particular case he's playing Emeric Belasco in "The Legend of Hell House" -- where despite being for all intents and purposes the main character, it's a non-speaking role he didn't even get credited for.

One of my all time favorite horror movies, and the books pretty good too since, well... both were written by Richard Matheson... as in "I am Omega" Richard Matheson.

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2019, 05:47:27 pm »

Thank goodness there is nothing wrong with your neural pathways.  8)

coothead

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2019, 06:38:57 pm »
Hi there jason Knight,

I received your PM notification by email, which is good.

Unfortunately, I was unable to complete a reply.

The reason for this appears to be the "Verification"
procedure, which repeatedly blocks the posting, even
though I used the "Listen to the letters" option to
check my eyesight.  :-\

This is a pictorial view of my failed attempt

I look forward to your comments with interest. :)

[edit]
Just had a thought, perhaps I should retry starting from scratch
and, sod's law, the PM was accepted and sent!!!
[/edit]

coothead
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2019, 06:52:32 pm by coothead »

benanamen

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2019, 09:43:05 pm »
Mr. Coothead, you typed the letters wrong.
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2019, 04:49:54 am »
Mr. Coothead, you typed the letters wrong.
aye, that's a D, not a B...

Once you hit five posts the captcha will go away.

sunfighter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2019, 11:08:41 am »
Coothead said:
Hi there jason Knight,,

august forum or would you prefer your aka?
Maybe we should combine the two and call Jason Dark Knight.

Here's a thing with the site. When clicking on a topic that has new content we're taken to the first post. Think we should go to the new post instead. If we don't have a clue as to the question we can scroll back. Better, have something under the last posters name that will take you to his/her's post and a click on the topic takes you to the top.

PS. When hitting 'save' on your contribution your also taken to the first post. Not good.
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2019, 11:21:15 am »
When clicking on a topic that has new content we're taken to the first post.
Think we should go to the new post instead.

The link in a reply to post email also goes
to the first post rather than the reply.   ???

coothead

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2019, 04:06:16 pm »
Yeah, that's messed up... the #new is there, there's an anchor 1990's-style with id="new" that I changed to name="new" to see if that helped, no joy...

I'm wondering if something in their scripting is messing with the scroll.

I think I'll need to do that full reskin from scratch, sadly I won't get to start that until Sunday, since again I have paying work ahead of it.

I don't remember SMF being this buggy... gah, should I risk going to the RC for the next version? I dislike deploying in production betas/drafts/release candidates.

No, that's not an option, I'm remembering why I reject that version and was planning to fork. They went full Gungan by using jQuery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement