CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Ryzen 5 3600 vs. 3600x, my conclusions  (Read 5126 times)

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Re: Ryzen 5 3600 vs. 3600x, my conclusions
« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2020, 07:40:47 am »
I only have a MicroATX case so that board won't fit! LOL!

This is the case I went for...

I also went for a 500gb NVMe...
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2020, 07:46:53 am by GrumpyYoungMan »
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2020, 09:13:03 am »
Anyhow I got a B450M DS3H and the Ryzen 5
Instant /fail/ and I thought I mentioned that. Anything other than X570 requires a bios flash to work with Zen2 (ryzen 3600/higher). To do that BIOS flash you need a supported CPU like an older 2xxx or even 1xxx  ryzen. You put the older CPU in, flash it, then try the new CPU.

Wrong board unless you already have an AM4 cpu... and even then some functionality will be missing and there's a performance hit. You need an X570 board... which start at around $140 and get ugly in price from there.

Also that case is shite because it has like next to no airflow.

It also depends on WHICH Ryzen 5 as there's three different generations of them. Zen, Zen+, and Zen2.

... and that's the wrong RAM at piddly little 2400 clock speed, gutting the performance since the infinity fabric is tied to the half the memory speed. Hence it's 3200 as bare minimum, 3600 as the recommended! It would have been fine for something like the old slower Ryzen 5 2600, but that RAM will effectively cripple the 3600.

Sad to say you're off to a bad start. Wrong RAM, Wrong Mobo, even the wrong CASE for a Ryzen 5 3600.

Also WHICH nVME drive? They are NOT all created equal and a lot of them -- HP, Intel -- are absolute worthless trash basically designed to die prematurely. They also all don't perform the same with many of them being no better than SATA because that's really all their controller is designed for.

You've got to watch it with this stuff, the devil is in the details and you can quickly end up ordering a slew of things that whilst similarly named to the correct parts, don't work together right if at all.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2020, 09:24:09 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2020, 09:36:27 am »
Instant /fail/ and I thought I mentioned that. Anything other than X570 requires a bios flash to work with Zen2 (ryzen 3600/higher). To do that BIOS flash you need a supported CPU like an older 2xxx or even 1xxx  ryzen. You put the older CPU in, flash it, then try the new CPU.

Wrong board unless you already have an AM4 cpu... and even then some functionality will be missing and there's a performance hit. You need an X570 board... which start at around $140 and get ugly in price from there.

Also that case is shite because it has like next to no airflow.

It also depends on WHICH Ryzen 5 as there's three different generations of them. Zen, Zen+, and Zen2.

... and that's the wrong RAM at piddly little 2400 clock speed, gutting the performance since the infinity fabric is tied to the half the memory speed. Hence it's 3200 as bare minimum, 3600 as the recommended! It would have been fine for something like the old slower Ryzen 5 2600, but that RAM will effectively cripple the 3600.

Sad to say you're off to a bad start. Wrong RAM, Wrong Mobo, even the wrong CASE for a Ryzen 5 3600.

Also WHICH nVME drive? They are NOT all created equal and a lot of them -- HP, Intel -- are absolute worthless trash basically designed to die prematurely. They also all don't perform the same with many of them being no better than SATA because that's really all their controller is designed for.

You've got to watch it with this stuff, the devil is in the details and you can quickly end up ordering a slew of things that whilst similarly named to the correct parts, don't work together right if at all.
I can hear you laughing from here, I am reviewing the case and motherboard... as like I said I wish I had waited !!

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2020, 09:43:42 am »
The NVME drive

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:01:17 am »
Sadly I don't have room for a full ATX case under my desk at the workshop so the biggest I can go is a MicroATX - and airflow will be a problem on all mATX cases?

I even had to recase the i5 when I brought it from home to the workshop.... that used to be in a Coolmaster case...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:21:52 am »
The NVME drive
The WD blue is...ok, but slightly underperforming. The Black is the preferred version... the blue is... well, low end consumer stuff.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:25:49 am »
The NVME drive
The WD blue is...ok, but slightly underperforming. The Black is the preferred version... the blue is... well, low end consumer stuff.
So it should be okay for me? I am not a heavy computer user - my work is of the physical type... as I am a grease monkey for my day job...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:27:26 am »
Sadly I don't have room for a full ATX case under my desk at the workshop so the biggest I can go is a MicroATX - and airflow will be a problem on all mATX cases?
That TT is more of a sub-micro... but is your desk really so short it can't fit a mid-tower? I mean they're a hair under 20" tall...

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:10:45 pm »
That TT is more of a sub-micro... but is your desk really so short it can't fit a mid-tower? I mean they're a hair under 20" tall...
It’s more I have to keep them off the floor as it’s get dusty... a full ATx case won’t fit under the desk lol! With the shelve I use which runs between the two draws...

What about the Corsair 110Q

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:49:36 pm »
I could have sworn I got the right ram for the processor - turns out I ordered it for the motherboard - correct 32gb 3600mhz ordered - good spot - Thank you!

So it seems, I think I will stick with this one for now - and then do it properly in a few months when I upgrade my server...

As ill build that to the exact you posted! :)

I did order this so I did try and listen to you...

Thanks for your feedback!

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2020, 03:02:01 pm by GrumpyYoungMan »

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2020, 03:07:58 pm »
Will this be okay for flashing the BIOS - as a friend can lend me this?
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2020, 03:12:05 pm by GrumpyYoungMan »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2020, 04:47:25 pm »
Will this be okay for flashing the BIOS - as a friend can lend me this?
I'm not sure any of the 3000's will work, as they're too new... though the 3500g/earlier are only zen+ so there's a CHANCE it might; but I wouldn't bank on it.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:14:13 pm »
Well I am at a lost as to what to say...

The motherboard was already running the F50 latest bios, so I install the Rayzen 5, the Zotac graphics card and the 32gb 3600mhz ram - and it’s all working - took about half hour/45 minutes from switch on to fully install and upgrade... so I’m very impressed - thanks for all your help and advice Jason - I appreciate it, so I can hopefully install Apache, etc and get back to my development work tomorrow...

Ordered the IronWolf tonight and that should be with me tomorrow so I can hopefully close the case tomorrow for a while.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2020, 02:27:47 pm by GrumpyYoungMan »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2020, 04:38:36 am »
so I’m very impressed
If you came from a HDD equipped machine, I bet the boot times and application startups is blowing your socks off.

Of course if you went with 32gb of RAM combined with the 6 core / 12 thread part, you're also noticing that tabs in chrome and FF have a lot less system impact and are far smoother / responsive switching between them. Go ahead, open 200 tabs.

I actually have friends that freak out when they see me running Vivaldi with 20 or so tabs open. You'd think those "portrait mode" tabs on the right made tab management easier than the derpy "let's try shoving them in at the top" approach... and that's on this 4770k.

Laugh is, you're now ahead of me on system spec. I don't get to do my own personal system until next week... got a client job paying for it I've got to complete first.

I got 49 lighters on my dresser, yessir... you know I gots to get paid.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2020, 04:40:22 am by Jason Knight »

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2020, 03:32:24 am »
Thanks for all your advice Jason, not all of it was ignored - and I do appreciate it!

Thanks again! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement