CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: CodeIgniter4 ver: 4.0.0 released today  (Read 1372 times)

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
CodeIgniter4 ver: 4.0.0 released today
« on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:00:40 am »

I am delighted to say CodeIgniter4 has just been released today after three long years.

No longer just a single Class that called sub-classes this version has all the latest bells and whistles such as NameSpaces

It is still available in a zip file that is only 3.9Mb including the comprehensive documentation!

https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-75581.html
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2020, 11:11:09 am by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: CodeIgniter4 ver: 4.0.0 released tody
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:44:49 am »
Still looks like the same old steaming pile of "let's shoehorn MVC into a language and task where it's a complete complexity mismatch" that it's always been to me. Just more "let's start with a programming model that doesn't match what the language is used for, waste objects on everything that shouldn't be objects, just so we can make everything ten times harder than it needs to be"

Again much like with derpy front-end frameworks, I wonder what the blazes drugs people are on to like this chazerei.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: CodeIgniter4 ver: 4.0.0 released today
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2020, 12:15:03 pm »
Hi there John,

don't you just love it when Jason goes vitriolic?  :o

For me, his diatribes on coding practises are
the equivalent  of George Carlin's on politics.  8)

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

sunfighter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:15:49 pm »
Thanks for the GC clip coot
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:48:38 pm »
George Carlin's on politics.

More like Carlin on Religion... These are not the results that belong on the resume of a divine being.

'cause when it comes to bullshit, major league grade A bullshit, you have to stand in awe, in awe, of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, frameworks.  No contest. No contest.

Frameworks have actually convinced people that avoiding learning the underlying language, starting out with ten times the code you need that forces you to write twice the code required using as many bloated bad practices as possible is somehow magically "easier", "simpler", "faster to develop" or "better for collaboration"

Now you wanna talk a good bullshit story...
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
Re: CodeIgniter4 ver: 4.0.0 released tody
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2020, 10:13:51 am »
Just how did you reach your conclusions in such a short space of time?
Well it's still an MVC framework, which means the division of concerns is still just plain wrong. I've never seen MVC in PHP where it makes a lick of sense because it inherently shoe-horns a programming model into the language that doesn't match the task.

It's a linear request language, not event driven handling its own loop.

To paraphrase the vulture, "Process the user input, access the database, output the result. Anything else is rubbish!"

Find the enemy and shoot him down. Anything else is rubbish! -- Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen

PHP is best used as glue between request, database, and output. In a "proper" MVC in languages like C++ request and output are both in the view. MVC in a client-server model doesn't make a single blasted lick of sense. I can't word it simpler than that.

Which is how you end up with using two to ten times the code needed to do the job right out of the gate before you've even written a single line of your own functionality, and then thanks to that "routing" BS end up being forced to write as much if not more code as you'd have without codeignitor in the huffing mix!

Second, I can't go through the tutorial without recoiling in horror at the bad practices and outright BS in just the first few pages. It alternates between "why even bother HAVING this framework if I'm still writing all this code", "look some idiots doing nothing but <?php ?> on every blasted line for no good reason" (Something that honestly should be removed from PHP entirely, hence I'm REALLY starting to like Facebook Hack), a significant chunk of how it works is a relic from the mysql_ days that should have gone the way of the dodo when PDO dropped (aka pointless database wrapping).... I mean FFS these clowns can't even build a HTML form properly and we're supposed to magically trust they can write PHP for us?

JUST like how derpy client-side frameworks where you take one look at their example HTML and it's painfully clear the people who created and maintain them don't know enough about HTML to write a single blasted line of it, much less tell others how to do so. The same problems are right there in their views, in how views are implemented... but more than their example markup, their PHP takes it to the next level passing around data and values with variables for nothing, parameters for nothing, a lack of leveraging templating to avoid mixing logic with markup making things HARDER to skin...

It's a train wreck that doesn't work how anyone who actually understands PHP and uses something like PDO would/should be doing things. The only way one could find benefit from it is failing to bother learning PHP from the start, and diving for idiocy like this before you even understand enough about the language to even have a valid opinion on if it's any good or not.

But then I'm the type of programmer where when I see code like this:

Code: [Select]
       <h1><?= $heading ?></h1>

<h3>My Todo List</h3>

<ul>
        <?php foreach ($todo_list as $item):?>

<li><?= $item ?></li>

<?php endforeach;?>
        </ul>

I have to choke back the urge to punch someone in the face... It is proof positive they aren't qualified to write a single blasted line of HTML or PHP.

But I'm a "one <?php per file" kind of dev. Likely why I'm considering abandoning PHP for Hack.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2020, 01:14:46 pm by Jason Knight »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement