CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: thanks for putting this site up  (Read 877 times)

droliff

• Greenhorn
thanks for putting this site up
« on: 24 Oct 2019, 10:15:02 am »
thanks @deathshadow for putting together this site as a replacement for codingforums.com

i had learned so much from that site over the years that i am thrilled to have another resource like it.

best,

Dennis

https://dennisroliff.com

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: thanks for putting this site up
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2019, 09:00:37 pm »
I'm surprised CF is still up... well, not surprised entirely...

But when I saw the "oh it's going down TOMORROW" post I thought "well somebody aught to do something about that".

I had the server room/capacity, it takes maybe 10 minutes to install SMF, maybe another 12 man-hours to customize the theme and tack down all the corners (I'm halfway through that), so... just do it.

Because I know people. A lot will TALK about doing something, they'll plan, and scheme, and then maybe in a week or two they'll announce something coming in two or three weeks... Rather than sit around TALKING about doing something, DO IT! That's just how I'm wired.

For something that in total shouldn't even be 12 man-hours labor in terms of coding and deployment.

PROMOTION on the other hand, that's the real time consumer.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

vinyl-junkie

• Music Around The World - trade & want lists, album reviews, collecting tips & much more
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2019, 09:34:40 pm »
Just for the record, I checked just now, and CF is officially down. Honestly, when the management of the site changed, I expected it to last about a year or so and then be gone. Surprised it lasted as long as it did; not surprised that they pulled the plug on it.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2019, 10:49:31 pm »
Just for the record, I checked just now, and CF is officially down.
Yup, it's gone... well, it's not ACTUALLY gone. If you manually add the old IP address to your hosts file, the server is still there, it just fails DNS now.

Which says all sorts of other things about the goings-on there.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement