CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: When you were learning HTML....  (Read 7864 times)

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: When you were learning HTML....
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2021, 05:30:27 am »
Quote from: Jason Knight
Can't tell if you're joking, or failed to get the joke.

I most certainly DID mean a dentist.

Be that as it may, but you have still not addressed the
genuine error pointed out  with this...

Screen readers (software that reads the page aloud), Braille Readers, TTY…
all valid non-visual targets; and forget not: Search engines don’t have
eyeballs. They all  could give a flying purple fish what your page “looks like”.

...and this..
The people saying this are almost always the “web application” and “single
page application” crowd who throw JavaScript at everything,  could give a
burning blue fig leaf about accessibility...

Of course, your use of could instead of couldn't might be
another of your jokes that I've failed to comprehend.  ::)

coothead

~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2021, 12:46:58 pm »
Neither item actually exists, thus could is the correct word. You say couldn't when it's something that exists, or is an emotional state.

You couldn't give a damn, but you could give a flying f***.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2021, 01:12:44 pm »
Neither item actually exists, thus could is the correct word.

Whatever.

As long as you are happy with it. I  really couldn't give a fig8)

coothead
« Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 01:23:34 pm by coothead »

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2021, 08:21:04 pm »

Neither item actually exists, thus could is the correct word.

Whatever.

As long as you are happy with it. I  really couldn't give a fig8)

coothead

Hi @coothead,

You’re wasting your time since even @Jason’s spelling leaves a lot to be desired :)

Unfortunately he prefers to profusely digress and vehemently chooses obscure local references in an endeavour to emphasise points.

It is actually a pity because he is quite bright but still insists on catering for an American audience that only forms about 20% of the global English speaking nations. I reckon his writing income would be more lucrative if he considered the other 80% :)

Another old Brit’

Edit:
This editor doesn’t play nicely with an iPad :)

« Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 02:14:23 am by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2021, 09:04:31 am »
obscure local references
As if I'm supposed to magically know what's a local reference, what's global? Some sort of divine knowledge of what colloquialisms I know but others don't?

I gave up a long time ago on using a niggard hand with my language. It really started with the word "retarded" when the whack-a-doodle wife of a hobby store owner back in the mid '80's got their panties in a knot when I said it... referring to the bomb on the bottom of a plastic model of a F-4 Phantom II. I said "ooh this one has retards" and she lost her freaking mind screaming at me to get the **** out of the store. Thankfully her husband was a Vietnam vet who knew what a retarded bomb was.

Him: You're so ignorant sometimes. It's forward progress is slowed by fins that deploy, that's what retard means. To slow or hinder.

Her: Don't tell me what the word means, I'm an English teacher!

Me: Ayup...

I mean FFS, you folks across the pond don't even know the difference between Jello, Jelly, and Jam. And most Americans outside New England don't even know what "Across the pond" means..

You brits use terminology us Yanks don't know all the damned time, and you probably don't even realize it. What's the old joke?

Americans and the English, two people divided by a common language.

The laugh being I get flak from other Americans -- well, those outside New England -- for my use of Anglicisms. Colour instead of color, boot and bonnet instead of trunk and hood. Though I do favor truck over lorry,

Though it's real fun when you Brits don't even know British ones: Knackered, banjaxed, skint, gobsmacked, pear shaped...

Much less ones that are so commonplace in America we'd never even think don't exist abroad. I was shocked a few months ago to find out you folks don't even know what a wife-beater is. (it's a sleeveless undershirt). Or pacifier which apparently is called a dummy in the UK. Or pram / perambulator which 99.99% of Americans will have ZERO idea what you're talking about. (Baby carriage).

Happens be I sit in the middle between the two; we use terms from each that neither knows of the other. The whole could vs. couldn't thing, in America it's could. In England it's couldn't. In New England it's case by case. Something that exists or a verb it's couldn't, something that doesn't exist is could.

When people can sit around arguing the pedantic difference between normalcy and normality, expiration and expiry...  I say screw it and use the language I speak the way I speak it. If that's a problem for someone from another region who will sit there like a crybaby going "what's that? I cant' read this" instead of picking up a flipping dictionary; or -- *SHOCK* opening a new tab to look it up online; or -- **DOUBLE SHOCK** attempt to infer meaning from context...

But it could be worse, at least you guys aren't assuming that every single word I use -- or reference that I make that you don't know -- is some form of profanity.

It's actually funny, I know a lot about the topic, which is why I realize that in an adoptive language it's utterly pointless to even TRY. It's a little like the "living document" bullshit with HTML 5. With no "version tracking" today's valid English is tomorrow's invalid (as in not valid, not as in a cripple, thanks Engrish) just as yesterday's valid English ain't today... or even yesterday's invalid being valid today. See "Ain't" which is now valid in most dictionaries.

Though that's when the pedants start screaming "just because it's in the dictionary doesn't make it valid". Treading into the same ground as the dipshit media who says we can't call Brock Turner a rapist because he wasn't convicted of Rape, he was convicted of "unlawful penetration with a foreign object".

Where if we look up rape in the dictionary:

"unlawful sexual intercourse or any other sexual penetration of the vagina, anus, or mouth of another person, with or without force, by a sex organ, other body part, or foreign object, without the consent of the victim."

But sure, can't ruin the college sports star's life for "20 minutes of action". For crying out loud, call a spade a spade.

And watch the "woke" idiots be their own worst enemy, digging themselves a nice deep hole of stupid getting upset thinking that shovels are racist.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 10:06:32 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2021, 09:39:17 am »
The whole could vs. couldn't thing, in America it's could. In England it's couldn't

So, are you inferring  that our impasse on the use of could as opposed to couldn't
is simply related to figs, or does it have more worrying implications ?  ???

coothead

John_Betong

« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2021, 02:04:20 am »
obscure local references[/font]
As if I'm supposed to magically know what's a local reference, what's global? Some sort of divine knowledge of what colloquialisms I know but others don't?

The "obscure local references" I mentioned are both American. I believe baseball is only played America and also the American comedian reference:

1.  Ballmer ==> He is the current owner of the Los Angeles Clippers of the National Basketball Association.Wikipedia
2. Rodney Dangerfield ==> American stand-up comedian, actor, producer, screenwriter, musician and author.

Your verbose reply included a reference to "Brock Turner" who is a complete stranger to me and no doubt also the other 80% of the global English speaking population  :)

[off-topic]
Your latest Medium Article is a lot better :)
[/off-topic]
« Last Edit: 14 May 2021, 02:06:07 am by John_Betong »

ingo

« Reply #37 on: 14 May 2021, 03:08:38 am »
I believe baseball is only played America

Cuba, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Italy ... It may even have it's origin in the Dutch games Kastie and Slagbal.

Ingo

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2021, 08:44:47 am »
1.  Ballmer ==> He is the current owner of the Los Angeles Clippers of the National Basketball Association.Wikipedia
Nobody gives a shit about his owning a baseball team. You skip right past the entire first sentence and why he's relevant. And I quote:

who served as the chief executive officer of Microsoft from 2000 to 2014.
Now, I don't know if you've heard of Microsoft, but they're a multinational corporation and Ballmer's behavior-- good and bad, mostly bad -- are infamous internationally amongst programmers.

His antics at Microsoft conferences being a thing of legend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14b-C67EXY&t=46s

I was actually sitting here wondering whiskey tango foxtrot does "teh sportsball" have to do with anything.

2. Rodney Dangerfield ==> American stand-up comedian, actor, producer, screenwriter, musician and author.

Who's movies -- Caddyshack, Back To School, Easy Money, Meet Wally Sparks, etc, etc -- have had international releases. Caddyshack ALONE regardless of nationality should make at least the name familiar. It's like saying you don't know who Rowan Atkinson or Stephen Fry are. Or Stephen Chow... or Katrina Kaif.

Ok, most Americans might not now that last one, but Bollywood fans do. Internationally she's bigger than any of the rest I listed. Side note, Ranbi Kapoor is a dirtbag!

Your verbose reply included a reference to "Brock Turner" who is a complete stranger to me and no doubt also the other 80% of the global English speaking population  :)
In the world of 24 hour international news, stop living under a rock. My Canadian friends know who he is... My Japanese friends know who he is.

Just because you live under a rock is no reason for the rest of us to "tone it down".
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 09:23:24 am by Jason Knight »

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2021, 08:48:14 am »
I have no idea who Caddyshack or Brock Turner is... 🤦🏽‍♂️😂
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 08:49:50 am by GrumpyYoungMan »
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2021, 09:28:11 am »
I have no idea who Caddyshack or Brock Turner is... 🤦🏽‍♂️😂
Caddyshack isn't a who, it's a what. A Movie. You've heard of these new-fangled things called "movies" right? Films? Theme song by Kenny Loggins. One of the best comedy movies ever made alongside the likes of Airplane and NL's Vacation? Ted Knight? Bill Murray? Chevy Chase?!?

Surely you can't be serious you've never heard of these things? That's a sad, sad, pathetic life.

Again, "Christ Tony, how old is this kid?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbQgaHZOFZ0
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 09:31:31 am by Jason Knight »

mmerlinn

• Nutcake
« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2021, 03:49:23 pm »

Who's[sic] movies --Caddyshack, Back To School, Easy Money, Meet Wally Sparks, etc, etc -- have had international releases. Caddyshack ALONE regardless of nationality should make at least the name familiar. It's like saying you don't know who Rowan Atkinson or Stephen Fry are. Or Stephen Chow... or Katrina Kaif.
I have no idea who Caddyshack or Brock Turner is... %uD83E%uDD26%uD83C%uDFFD%u200D%u2642%uFE0F%uD83D%uDE02
Caddyshack isn't a who, it's a what. A Movie. You've heard of these new-fangled things called "movies" right? Films? Theme song by Kenny Loggins. One of the best comedy movies ever made alongside the likes of Airplane and NL's Vacation? Ted Knight? Bill Murray? Chevy Chase?!?

All of whom [sic] are complete strangers to me.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 04:02:55 pm by mmerlinn »
The soul purr pus of a spell cheque cur is two valley date hour ignore ants.

John_Betong

« Reply #42 on: 16 May 2021, 11:36:11 pm »
In the world of 24 hour international news, stop living under a rock. My Canadian friends know who he is... My Japanese friends know who he is.
Once again these are only two isolated cases used to bolster your opinion. Even if you get a much bigger soapbox and a megaphone these will not help the other 80% of global English speakers understand your rantings

Just because you live under a rock is no reason for the rest of us to "tone it down".
Perhaps, most unlike yourself... I have traveled, lived and worked in about three dozen countries and learnt that shouting only hinders others from understanding what you are trying to convey :)
« Last Edit: 17 May 2021, 08:38:20 pm by John_Betong »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2021, 03:14:24 am »
Once again these are only two isolated cases used to bolster your opinion. Even if you get a much bigger soapbox and a megaphone these will not help the other 80% of global English speakers understand your rantings
Got me on the anecdotal, but cancelled your argument by pulling a percentage out your arse.

Perhaps, most unlike yourself... I have traveled, lived and worked in about three dozen countries
Can't say I've done three dozen, but I've got South Korea, Germany, Britain, Saudi, Australia, and France under my belt.

Though given your lack of knowing cultural references common across all of the above, it makes me doubt you're as worldly as you claim. Either that or you just never once turned on a television set.

and learnt that shouting only hinders others from understanding what you are trying to convey :)
What shouting? Wait... do you also not know the term "tone it down" which has jack-all to do with volume level?

... and this is how we have people who think that Trump actually is a "really stable genius", despite his fourth grade vocabulary and 2nd grade intelligence.

Though I will freely admit that as an X-er, I talk with "pop-culture Tourette's". It's how my generation communicates; with movie quotes and jokes.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2021, 03:16:25 am by Jason Knight »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2021, 03:18:40 am »
All of whom [sic] are complete strangers to me.
So basically you don't watch TV or movies?

Good gravy, how can someone not know Rowan Atkinson... I mean at least "Mr. Bean" would stand out.

Sorry, but I'm not going to dumb it down for people who don't know mainstream pop culture jokes. What, do I have to drag out Jack Benny or Art Welling for you dinosaurs?

You guys would probably lose your huffing minds if I said "If my pussy doesn't see a friendly face tonight, it will be very put out."

Mr. Humphreys, are you free? Next you'll be telling me you don't know who Judy Dench is.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2021, 03:21:16 am by Jason Knight »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement