CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Monitor Replacement  (Read 780 times)

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Monitor Replacement
« on: 3 Jun 2020, 04:30:25 am »
Looking at maybe replacing my Dual Dell U2412M's for something like a ASUS VP28UQGL, I am not looking for anything to break the bank and this looks okay to me apart from the lack of the inbuilt USB hub?

Have you got any suggestions  - I also need to get back into the saddle of finishing my project off...
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2020, 04:32:00 am by GrumpyYoungMan »
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Monitor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2020, 05:32:00 pm »
In terms of usable space and legibility, it's actually a bit of a downgrade. You're looking at a high refresh gaming display against a pair of IPS. You're looking at 4k crammed into a 'tiny' 28" space vs. a pair of 24" 16:10 at 1920x1200.

Whilst sure, you'd be going from 3840x1200 to 3840x2180 in terms of resolution, the increase in PPI would just force you to higher display scaling resulting in less usable space.

See my media center, where sure I've got a 55" 4k display, but to even have text legible at a mere 4 feet I've got to run windows display scaling at 200%... so basically in terms of useful space it's got less than the 28" 1440p IPS I'm running as the center display on my workstation. And as much as you might think 4k would help legibility once you start scaling, the drop from IPS to 1ms response LCD does you no favors on colour reproduction. Though if you care about gaming, an IPS' low response times do you no favors either.

1440p seems to be the ideal upper-limit for 28" in "normal" usage cases in a desktop monitor at what should be a normal / comfortable viewing distance of two to three feet., and even then you end up running 150% scaling to match the 125% you typically need for a 24" 1920x1200 display.

Unless of course you're one of these users making themselves sick all the time by leaning way the blazes in plastering your head inches from the screen. Aka what I see people doing all the time on 4k laptop screens because they don't even know how to set font/ui scaling... though I see desktop users do it all the time as well.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Monitor Replacement
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2020, 05:11:43 am »
Thank you, that all makes sense so basically you are saying stick with what I have got!  ;) :)

Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Monitor Replacement
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2020, 11:14:54 am »
Thank you, that all makes sense so basically you are saying stick with what I have got!  ;) :)
well, unless you can afford a couple of nice 28" 1440p IPS for comparable money... or a 40"/larger 4k display.

On my own setup because I do so much web dev, I've on purpose got a 28" 1440p IPS center, a 24" quality 1920x1200 Samsung on the right, and a cheap as dirt no-name 1920x1200 on the left. I do this because different displays often have a different colour gamut and different pixel placements. This way I can see what my colours and font choices do across the full spectrum of price-points.

To that end switching those 24" 1920x1200 displays to portrait view and putting a 28" 1440p non-IPS center could be a move worth looking at.

I ran similar to that for a while when I went from two 17" 1280x1024 to adding my first 1920x1200 display. I ran the 17" in portrait as they were all generally the same PPI.

I still use those older 17" from time to time on the bench. not amazing resolution by modern standards, but they're really nice quality TFT displays with pivot bases.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2020, 11:21:12 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement