CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Downtime mid-week 3 Sept 2020 - 5 Sept 2020  (Read 1872 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Downtime mid-week 3 Sept 2020 - 5 Sept 2020
« on: 31 Aug 2020, 04:28:07 am »
I have been planning a number of major software changes on my hosting to 1) deal better with the constant spam, 2) better deal with the constant brute force attacks against the back-end, and 3) better deal with the fact that Debian stable lags behind on core features I'd really like to have by 2021.

Traditionally I've used Debian because the ideal of "Stable proven" packages always seemed the right choice, but with security updates occurring far faster than they're going into Debian's tree, their continued dragging of the heels on PHP version updates, and other such issues has made be start considering other distros.

To that end, I'm going to be wiping the server clean and starting over fresh.

I'm not sure how long I'm going to take, as it depends on my health, where my non-24 lands me in my sleep schedule, and so forth, so I wanted to give you folks a heads up that some time mid to late this week my sites are going to disappear for a few hours.

Laugh is, after years of deriding it, I may actually break down and just use Ubuntu. I know a lot of people would say "use CentOS" but to be frank, I have no stomach for anything "Red Hat Legacy". Basically, RPM's and YUM sucks donkey balls compared to DEB and APT. I also hate how everything based on Red Hat -- like CentOS -- half the time doesn't even put files in the proper *nix locations. They put stuff that should be in /var in the user folder, stuff that should be in /etc into /var... After having cut my teeth in the *nix world on Xenix and Solaris, it's kind of nice to have things in the same locations they would be there.

I'd consider other non-linux platforms, but to be honest the minor performance improvements are outweighed by a general lack of readily available proper information, documentation, and people who out of the blue can answer questions when things go bits-up face-down. Worse, so many of them are source-based distribution for apps only, where to be frank after years of doing that back in the day, I'm done with it. We can do better now, so do it.

So my list is debian based, but hopefully something where packages are updated more often.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Downtime mid-week 3 Sept 2020 - 5 Sept 2020
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2020, 11:37:26 pm »
Ok, I lied. I did it now. We should be successfully moved over. Time shall tell.

Had a spare moment, so I got it done. It went weird for a moment on the forums domain forcing the html version BEFORE the PHP one, but got that sorted.

Moving with HTTPS in place sucks, you can't create the new certificate until AFTER DNS has propagated to the new page.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement