CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: The new "Unread Topics" button  (Read 1046 times)

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
The new "Unread Topics" button
« on: 9 Sep 2020, 02:28:36 am »

Many thanks for introducing the new feature... is it possible to revise the search to add a "Latest Topics" search button?

I have searched without success to find a request to @Jason Knight for a link for the latest topics?

Reason for the request is that I sometimes read the latest "Unread Topics" and when free time allows. I  go back to reply to a topic and it's gone and nowhere to be found :(
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2020, 02:31:54 am by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

John_Betong

Re: The new "Unread Topics" button
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2020, 11:54:01 pm »
Bump :)

Is it just me or are other users affected?

Is it possible to have a link or default forum page that shows the last two dozen or so topics?

This is normal practice on most other forums and allows the user to glance at the topics, read topics of interest, also to think and reply later. The latter point especially is of personal concern because I frequently use a Mobile to browse and wait until I am on the desktop to reply because it is hard-work trying to compose a Mobile reply.

As mentioned when on the desktop the topics have gone and it is not easy to find the last topics because they have been read :(

I'm curious to know the  traffic percentages for mobile users. On my sites Mobiles account for about 60% of traffic.

When I check this forum the screen presented is the following:

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2020, 01:13:04 am »
That would actually be helpful? Is that a SMF mod?
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2020, 02:39:17 pm »
Already exists in SMF, it's just its placement SUCKS.

Direct link:
https://forums.cutcodedown.com/index.php?action=recent
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2020, 12:02:55 am »
@Jason Knight>
Already exists in SMF, it's just its placement SUCKS.

Perhaps users could post on the forum where they would like a more friendly link to be placed.

There is adequate space on the banner for a link and also a couple of links which are not essential.

I am curious to know why a prominent link does not exist.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2020, 04:17:18 am by John_Betong »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2020, 07:08:37 am »
Time pressed again, but gave it a quick drive-by. How's that? Any better?
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2020, 07:13:19 am »
Many thanks, I think that is far, far better :)

It will make my life a lot easier rather than trying to remember what I read on the tablet and later want to reply on the desktop.

Edit:
It would be interesting to note if there are any appreciable changes in the webstats.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2020, 07:20:12 am by John_Betong »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2020, 09:13:54 am »
I'm curious to know the  traffic percentages for mobile users. On my sites Mobiles account for about 60% of traffic.
Given this is a forum, it's around 3% of my traffic... which for forums is about usual. MOST forums suck on mobile for anything but reading given the lack of keyboard, or screen space for real text.

Twitter generation TLDR nose-breathers with their broken Engrish moist goodry might thrive on the small screen platforms, but the moment REAL text written by the literate are involved those devices are utter shite. If you have a text driven content driven site, mobile devices are just plain garbage... and there's not a lot you can do about that apart from making the content or the UI a crippled mess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement