CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: MySql backup - Permissions?  (Read 2735 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: MySql backup - Permissions?
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2020, 11:37:47 am »
Honestly, I'm an OS whore. If my workstation was a town, and operating systems were citizens, I'd be the town bicycle. Everybody's had a ride. Hence what I'd suggest is making a bunch of small test installs of the various options, and seeing which best suits you.

Right now I'd say Ubuntu Server, but that's for ME. Remember, more than two thirds of major *nix distros are now based off of Ubuntu, (Mint, Arch, etc) which itself is based on Debian. Ubuntu basically IS Debian, just with more recent packages and more people now using it.

But if you're already comfortable with CentOS, that might be your best choice.

I'd say try them. VirtualBox is free, the install files for Linux flavors is free, so... make a bunch of little 60gb or so Virtual Disks on your main machine and try them. If nothing else it helps to be familiar with the differences between them, since not all *nix were created equal; even when they're all using the same Linux kernel.

Could even have some fun and try some non--Linux flavors. FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, Haiku...
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2020, 12:12:23 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2020, 03:19:16 pm »
I don’t have enough time for that...sadly, running my own business and having three daughters my time is limited to say the least...

When I say I got on Okay with CentOs I mean I got it installed, working and secure! Lol!

I take it the Windows MySQL Backup read only permissions will be the same for the Linux server?

I am also planning on using Holland to backup the SQL... and then sync the file to either DropBox or OneDrive? You got any suggestions on a CLI way to do this? As it’s a headless server...

Thanks again and sorry for the post...
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2020, 04:11:10 pm by GrumpyYoungMan »
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2020, 05:47:27 pm »
Also a strange one Ubuntu is only installing PHP 7.4.3 and not 7.4.10 - apt-get won’t allow 7.4.10? Unless I’m doing something wrong which wouldn’t be unusual!

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2020, 02:03:25 am »
Any advice on how to get bidirectional cloud syncing working on this Ubuntu sever as it’s headless I need a CLI version?

I have for rClone installed but you have to enable either copy or sync... it won’t do both so it’s possible to overwrite an newer file with a older version?

I guess unless I just copy one folder? From the server or the cloud?

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2020, 11:42:38 am »
Well I found out I can just sync a directory within my local server OneDrive folder, so now I am doing all the SQL backups and the housekeeping on the server and then using rclone in sync mode to make the local folder the same as the remote cloud folder... this should then keep the remote folder the same as the local server!
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2020, 11:47:02 am by GrumpyYoungMan »

fgm

« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2020, 07:20:07 am »
OpenBSD is a great server OS and I fully recommend it. Stable version (6.7) ships PHP 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4, and it never breaks when upgrading. Binary upgrades are available for both system and packages.

You can see software versions here: https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.7/packages/amd64/

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2020, 09:09:24 am »
I choose to install Ubuntu and that seems to be working okay, it was probably easier to set up than the first server I had which was using CentOS.

The updates seem to come through very regularly but none for PHP...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement