CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: What is Node.JS  (Read 1107 times)

durango_d

What is Node.JS
« on: 26 Oct 2020, 12:54:39 pm »
I have heard of node.js, i have heard that some developers use it for such things as coding chat rooms. I have also heard that it has alot of issues.  Other than that i have no clue what node.js is or does.  Ill try to find a video on it.  If you have time if you could possibly just give a short simple tutorial on what it is or how you use it, that would be great.

Thanks
Squeeze it Harley! Don't yank it!  It's not your D...!  Squeeze it !

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: What is Node.JS
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:23:40 am »
Node.js is an absolutely horrible and uninspired name for where some folks took the V8 javascript engine -- which is what runs JavaScript in Chrome and Chrome-likes -- and made it a standalone without the browser that you can run server-side.

It basically turns JavaScript into a server-side language, instead of its traditional role as a client-side one.

Given what a ****-show Javascript is, how even bigger garbage seems to be getting layered atop it, and how from a performance and usability standpoint there are far better languages, I'm a bit shocked it's as popular as it is.

BUT -- I can understand the appeal of being able to use the same language server-side as you do client-side.

Problem is there are a LOT of things you can do server-side that has zero damned business in the browser, and vice-versa.

You might have heard of node-webkit, nw-js (which is same thing but using node.js instead of webkit), or electron? They are basically browser engines running atop node.js -- for all intents and purposes a browser turned inside-out -- that allow you to make full stack applications in JavaScript with HTML/CSS as your UI.

Visual Studio Code -- the editor -- is an Electron application, as is the Atom editor for which Electron was created.

Such programs are horrifyingly bloated and inefficient... I can't even use Atom or VSC because I can outrun the keyboard buffer. BUT, they do have the advantage of being fully cross platform off of one codebase. If you can port electron to a platform, you can run your program unmodified on it.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

durango_d

Re: What is Node.JS
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:58:44 am »
Thanks for the reply, interesting...  now i know why i hear so many developers say bad things about it, and i am glad i didnt use it for my project back then..   Creating and mixing duties of what once was  userside  or serverside specific programs is like building frankenstein code and that was a lesson that should have been learned from the novel.   Even the monsters are digital now days lol

Squeeze it Harley! Don't yank it!  It's not your D...!  Squeeze it !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement