CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: HTTP 2 Push / SPDY... Fact? Fiction? Placebo?  (Read 593 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
HTTP 2 Push / SPDY... Fact? Fiction? Placebo?
« on: 29 Oct 2020, 12:56:52 am »
Just wrote an article on Medium about how a (potential) client's site they've loaded up on trickery to try and compensate for their bloated code spread out over several dozen files. In trying to diagnose it and build up a proposal/contract, I noticed that their PUSH was acting funky. It was only triggering intermittently, and when it WASN'T working the pages were faster.

Delta Alpha Foxtrot Uniform Quebec.

You can find my findings in the article:
https://levelup.gitconnected.com/http-2-push-fact-fiction-placebo-746cee7e3bdf

Though to summarize, Push was not slowing the site down "really", it was just making deeper rooted issues worse... but when I made a synthetic test, I found that in general a slight push is ok, a giant push introduces problems, and overall what little benefit it actually makes is more related to if your code is bloated BS or not.

It may in fact be a placebo and/or be useless if you just write minimalist code in the first place. A shame since I've been a advocate for it, because I've advocated reducing the total file counts/handshakes as a way to speed up websites for decades.

I don't like this conclusion, but right now the facts in front of me say HTTP 2 push is more placebo than fact; at least for how I build websites.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement