CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Meta Description  (Read 477 times)

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Meta Description
« on: 30 Oct 2020, 04:31:43 am »
What is the recommended length?

As here recommendeds a max length of 160 characters?
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Meta Description
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2020, 05:48:31 am »
155 to 160 is the accepted norm. The 155 number is what Baidu cuts you off at, google is 160... Bing and Yandex allow more but really who cares.

When different browsers accept different limits on meta sizes, I go with whatever is smallest unless it's ridiculously absurd.

For example Baidu only allows for 64 characters of keywords meta, but ignores words past that not the whole meta, so there's nothing wrong with the 96 every other browsers seem to agree on... and with Google ignoring anything more than 8 words and 96 characters (leading everyone to THINK that the keywords meta is ignored entirely because nobody uses it right) I just go with 7-8 words/proper names and 96 characters as the limit for "keywords". (remembering of course relevance to content as well)

But yeah, for description, one to three natural language sentences of no more than 155 characters is good. And don't go stuffing it with keywords as that can get you pimp slapped for abuse. I see so many know-nothings who slop the same content into both "keywords" and "description"  and it's like "NO F***WITS, THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS... this isn't how any of this works!"
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Re: Meta Description
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2020, 06:11:22 am »
155 to 160 is the accepted norm. The 155 number is what Baidu cuts you off at, google is 160... Bing and Yandex allow more but really who cares.

When different browsers accept different limits on meta sizes, I go with whatever is smallest unless it's ridiculously absurd.

For example Baidu only allows for 64 characters of keywords meta, but ignores words past that not the whole meta, so there's nothing wrong with the 96 every other browsers seem to agree on... and with Google ignoring anything more than 8 words and 96 characters (leading everyone to THINK that the keywords meta is ignored entirely because nobody uses it right) I just go with 7-8 words/proper names and 96 characters as the limit for "keywords". (remembering of course relevance to content as well)

But yeah, for description, one to three natural language sentences of no more than 155 characters is good. And don't go stuffing it with keywords as that can get you pimp slapped for abuse. I see so many know-nothings who slop the same content into both "keywords" and "description"  and it's like "NO F***WITS, THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS... this isn't how any of this works!"
Thanks, when and if I ever I finish it, I may post it here to get opinion - if that's okay?
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement