CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: It's Offical - CF is gone  (Read 1710 times)

sunfighter

• Global Moderator
It's Offical - CF is gone
« on: 25 Oct 2019, 10:50:13 am »
Tried yesterday and then again this morning and nothing. Like I was calling a ghost.
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: It's Offical - CF is gone
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2019, 11:42:09 am »
Like I was calling a ghost.

Talking of ghosts, I would hazard a guess that Old Pedant and
Felgall would have turned in their graves at CF's demise.    ???

I was there for over fifteen years as an almost daily visitor.  :(

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

benanamen

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2019, 12:15:55 pm »
Dearly Beloved,

We are gathered here today in remembrance of our dear codingforums. She was not just a friend, she was a sister and a mother. Always there any time of day or night through thick and thin. She provided answers that ended the turmoil of so many who sought her. She was a rock to stand upon, a light shining through the darkness. She brought people together from all over the world that would have never known of each other, she was a global community. In this time of mourning we give thanks for the time we where able to know her. We will never forget you coding forums.   :(
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

durango_d

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2019, 02:42:45 pm »
Sad time indeed, the end of an era.  :'(   

It is said that one day everything comes to an end, i never thought that applied to CF.  I was always a bit concerned though of what might happen after corp took it over if and when the  income from the site began to decline. I always wondered would they hand it off or would they kill it.  I guess that questions has been answered. 

Looks like the domain reg is up in march of next year, now i wonder if someone will grab the name after the required waiting period when it becomes available once again. 

When i checked the net i saw that it had been down for over 20 days and i knew something was wrong, thanks for the link benanamen :)   I also found that the income for CF (at least at one time) was about 10 million bucks, not sure if i believe that but i guess anything is possible.

Even though i went away for awhile (summer time is my time to be outside and not at the computer), i was totally shocked when i found out CF was gone.   

Thanks DS for starting a new site, great domain name and it fits :) 

Even though i will greatly miss CF, i have lots of fond memories to hold on to. Out of the ashes of one shall a new grass seed grow, it is the way of life, thy will be done.   :)  On with the new!   
Squeeze it Harley! Don't yank it!  It's not your D...!  Squeeze it !

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2019, 02:46:35 am »
I also found that the income for CF (at least at one time) was about 10 million bucks, not sure if i believe that but i guess anything is possible.
I've run enough forums the past 20 years to know that number is total BULLCOOKIES, by a factor of about a five-thousand. If that site EVER pulled in more than $200/mo I'd be utterly and thoroughly shocked... and of course given it ran the poorly optimized outdated bloated wreck that is vBulletin -- Which it's shocking anyone has the cajoles to charge money for -- that's likely 80% of what it cost to host.

Whereas SMF could host a forum of greater traffic even at CF's peak on a Atom 270.

But then most claims of "income" for websites is absurdly inflated. Usually this is done whenever some sleazy "flipper" is looking for a sucker to sell it to.

See Alexa stats, which sound all great and rosy and are based on basically a computerized "Jimmy the Greek" pulling a number out of their backside.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2019, 04:40:57 pm »
Most surprised, just received this email:

CodingForums is dead – long live CodingForum!

Dear friends and (former) members of the CodingForums, We were all surprised and saddened by the sudden shutdown of CF. But we, the administrators (namely chump2877 and VIPStephan), haven’t been lazy behind the scenes, this just motivated us even more to look for alternatives. And after more work than we anticipated we’re happy to announce that the alternative (or rather, the evolution of CF) is finally here! So, rising from the ashes is a new “CodingForum” at https://codingforum.net; and the best thing is: you can sign in with your usual user name and password and continue were you left off last time. :-) We hope you’ll join us in our coding endeavours. Head over to https://codingforum.net and make CodingForum the place to be; we look forward to seeing you (again).Happy coding, VIPStephanCodingForum administrator
-- edited to remove unused tags --
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2019, 02:06:14 pm by ian »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2019, 04:56:43 pm »
Hi there John,

I did not know that you were a member of coding forums.com.  ???

Perhaps you used  a different user name?  8)

coothead

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2019, 06:19:59 pm »
Yeah, I was shocked to see it back -- I knew chump and VIPStephen were in the "planning" stages, but to be frank give it's been over a month I figured those plans were dead.

Laugh is they're talking like they put it up "so quickly". :D

Methinks I have a different definition of the word "quickly" from theirs.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2019, 12:13:53 am »
Hi there John,

I did not know that you were a member of coding forums.com.  ???

Perhaps you used  a different user name?  8)

coothead
I joined so that I would receive the annual Happy Birthday email :)

Joking aside I cannot remember if I actually posted or my user name - just not enough hours in the day :(
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2019, 09:59:38 am »
Quote from: John_Betong
Joking aside I cannot remember if I actually posted
or my user name - just not enough hours in the day :(

It appears that you used -   JOhn_Betong.

coothead

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement