CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Computer cases, an industry gone moron  (Read 535 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Computer cases, an industry gone moron
« on: 3 Dec 2020, 07:12:06 am »
Need a replacement case for a friend's build -- their current case has awkward button placement and airflow issues due to it having been kept for upgrade after upgrade after upgrade for a decade and a half.

... and I'm starting to think they're better off where they are.

I know the RGB light water-cooling halfwits with their bling bling idiocy have been pissing on this industry for a while, but when cases labelled "high airflow" now have solid glass panels both front and on the "open" side, that's just STUPID.

I'm sick of these dipshit solid side panels and this magical expectation that you can pull air from eighth inch or less cracks around the frame in an efficient manner. A situation made only worse by them stuffing up the intakes with things like radiators, and worse putting the radiator in the FRONT heating up all the air in the case. (seriously, put that **** at the top!)

In this case, I'm basically looking at dropping $120 on the monstrous Rosewill Thor JUST so I can get a case with a side fan? This is a joke, right?

Mind you, I do want to switch my media center to a white Thor, but Thor's not a great choice for them due to space constraints.

In an industry obsessed with cooling performance to the point of mixing computers and water, it strikes me as mind-numbingly dumbass the equal obsession with making 100% certain cases have the same or even less airflow than they did 30 years ago!

Even worse, the only cases I can find with actual front and side openings for straight in airflow? Aren't wide enough to even fit a 212 evo, much less the Phantek TC-14PE in their current build. Hell, I'm not sure they're wide enough to fit a 3800XT.

And get off my damned lawn!
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2020, 07:16:19 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
Re: Computer cases, an industry gone moron
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2020, 07:19:21 am »
Found an answer. Another friend is on my old TT Element G, but could use more drive bays. I'll upgrade my media center to a white thor, give them my current thor, and the element G is overkill for the person I'm case hunting for.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
Re: Computer cases, an industry gone moron
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2020, 08:11:35 am »
Oh, for those of you who don't know what a Rosewill Thor is. Laugh at how tiny she is compared to the boxes it ships in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eStwwZFlOoQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement