CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: SEO Question - maybe duplicate content?  (Read 1417 times)

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
SEO Question - maybe duplicate content?
« on: 6 Dec 2020, 02:53:04 am »
Forgive the silly question but...

If you have a website that basically lists ALL your page content on a index page and each page is then accessible directly via its own link would it be treated by the search engines as duplicate content? I think it would but thought I would ask... If I am right, is there a way to stop the search engine bots from indexing the duplicate web pages? I seem to recall there is/was a "no index" command?
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: SEO Question - maybe duplicate content?
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2020, 10:43:02 am »
If you have a website that basically lists ALL your page content on a index page and each page is then accessible directly via its own link would it be treated by the search engines as duplicate content?
Links on the same domain are generally not treated as content for duplicate content purposes. At least, so long as you don't repeat the same link mindlessly dozens of times on the same page.

Links on a site to other pages on the same site is how web spiders work. They're not going to penalize you for that.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2020, 10:46:12 am »
If you have a website that basically lists ALL your page content on a index page and each page is then accessible directly via its own link would it be treated by the search engines as duplicate content?

Links on the same domain are generally not treated as content for duplicate content purposes. At least, so long as you don't repeat the same link mindlessly dozens of times on the same page.

Links on a site to other pages on the same site is how web spiders work. They're not going to penalize you for that.
Thank you both for the feedback!

All I was thinking of doing is having all the pages shown on one big index page and then having a link to the individual pages on there own - all would be on the same domain!

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2020, 11:46:16 pm »

@GrumpyYoungman
All I was thinking of doing is having all the pages shown on one big index page and then having a link to the individual pages on there own - all would be on the same domain!
[/font]
I have Google analytics installed and using Canonical Links on every web page.  Google does not object to any "duplicate content".

Checkout this link:

https://forums.cutcodedown.com/index.php?topic=420.msg2345#msg2345
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2020, 11:50:59 pm by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2020, 01:21:15 am »

@GrumpyYoungman
[/font]
I have Google analytics installed and using Canonical Links on every web page.  Google does not object to any "duplicate content".

Checkout this link:

https://forums.cutcodedown.com/index.php?topic=420.msg2345#msg2345

👍🏻😎 thanks!

Sorry for (all) the stupid question(s)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2020, 02:48:00 am »
Sorry for (all) the stupid question(s)
The only stupid question is one you already know the answer to. SMART PEOPLE ask questions!

Hell, smart people question the answers they already have. All the time.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement