CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Last post link  (Read 1247 times)

vinyl-junkie

• Music Around The World - trade & want lists, album reviews, collecting tips & much more
Last post link
« on: 26 Oct 2019, 08:38:38 pm »
I know you're probably working on many things with regard to these forums, but I noticed that the Last Post link (the one with the right arrow in the icon at the end of each "Subject / Started by" thread) just goes to the first post in the thread. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that; just wanted to point it out.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Last post link
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2019, 10:09:42 am »
I think their javascript is interfering with hash links. This is one of the many issues that will be resolved once I have the time to write a PROPER skin for these forums, instead of this current sloppy paintover.

I've actually started writing said new skin for SMF 2.1 under the release candidate. I am NOT planning to deploy the RC here as such things are generally not for production, but if the issues with the badly outdated 2.0.x continue to be an issue, I might risk it.

In any case, by the time SMF 2.1 hits "final" I should have a custom skin lacking these problems, particularly since half the stuff they're using JavaScript for is going in the trash.

Pretty much growing pains, it's been 8 years since I last ran a forums. I went with SMF just because I knew it better than others, letting me get this up, running, and usable in mere minutes the moment I read about codingForums being shut down, which was really the last straw when it comes to web dev forums... What with DigitalPoint being so painfully mercenary, and Sitepoint not only having the ugliest most useless forum interface I've ever seen, but also being a den of suck-ups and sycophants where any dissension is stamped out like a petty dictatorship. ANYTHING to keep selling their shoddy books promoting things -- like JQuery and bootcrap -- that have zero business even being used in professional development.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2019, 10:13:06 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

qwikad.com

• Free & Paid Classified Advertising
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2019, 09:12:57 pm »
You really need to fix this one. At least disable the Next link if it's the last page of a thread. It goes from thread to thread. New users will think the forum is broken.

Also, put the AdSense ad back. It makes the site look happier.

PS And don't say "whenever I've got time". You've got time to post long posts on DP. You could've fixed this thing a month ago.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2019, 09:15:11 pm by qwikad.com »
Free & Paid Classified Advertising: https://QwikAd.com

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2019, 10:15:51 pm »
You really need to fix this one.
Which one? The Op's complaint has been fixed for about two weeks, it was actually caused by the default skin not having proper float clearing, and was why the #new links weren't working either.

At least disable the Next link if it's the last page of a thread. It goes from thread to thread. New users will think the forum is broken.

The what now? Which links are you referring to?

Also, put the AdSense ad back. It makes the site look happier.
Sadly due to the "shocking" increase in traffic on the ccd domain, Google has limited the number of ads they will serve me in a month. Because of course showing "that many ads" might result in them actually having to pay me money,

Which is why I'm considering either saying "screw advertising sleaze" altogether since I don't trust a single one of the dirtbags in said industry, or looking for an alternative to adsense that won't jerk me around every time there's a change in my traffic patterns.

They keep moving the damned goalpost so they don't have to pay out... at which point to hell with them. It's not like I "need' their pittance to keep something as simple as a forums afloat given how cheap modern VPS are.

You've got time to post long posts on DP
I still find it disturbing what people consider to be a "long post" in this day and age. Literacy folks, try it.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2019, 10:20:49 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

qwikad.com

• Free & Paid Classified Advertising
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2019, 07:22:15 am »
What are those Previous Next links for?

I expect them to take me to previous / next PAGE in the same thread, not to a whole new thread.
Free & Paid Classified Advertising: https://QwikAd.com

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2019, 07:36:25 am »
Yeah, those are poorly labelled, they're for the previous and next THREAD, not post.

Hmm... maybe just label them better? I don't think the software extracts the next/previous thread names, not sure I want to waste the overhead of adding extra queries, but it would clarify what they're for.

Since there's perfectly good pagination right there, maybe just remove them entirely? It's not something I've ever used or found useful as user.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2019, 08:26:36 am »
I've removed the previous/next THREAD links as being of dubious usefulness since under the hood it's not providing any text to say where they actually go. They were confusing as to what they were for, and not all that useful, meaning IMHO they and the DIV they were in were nothing more than a waste of bandwidth.

I'm also probably going to tweak the pagination code when I get a chance to be a hair more useful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement