CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Spam prevention suggestion  (Read 1227 times)

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
Spam prevention suggestion
« on: 13 Jan 2021, 11:48:01 pm »
Would it take much to add a button to a post so that any user (possibly with over ten posts) could flag the post as Spam?

The action would hide the post until it has been approved or deleted by Admin or another Moderator.

[off-topic]
How many Moderators are there on this forum?
[/off-topic]
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2021, 11:51:04 pm by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Re: Spam prevention suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2021, 01:41:01 am »
That’s a good idea... ...could be a nice SMF mod?

But there is already a “report to moderator” button...

I think Jason is the only moderator...
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

benanamen

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2021, 03:12:46 am »
I was a moderator here at the start of this forum. I didn't like Jason's policy to move spam to an "evidence locker" forum instead of just being able to delete it so I resigned.
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2021, 03:37:10 am »
I was a moderator here at the start of this forum. I didn't like Jason's policy to move spam to an "evidence locker" forum instead of just being able to delete it so I resigned.
I didn't know that or notice that... maybe you resigned before I joined?

What was wrong with that policy?
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2021, 02:53:56 pm »
The problem with this idea is how easily it could be abused against legitimate posters. One could probably say that past around ~50 posts we disable said additional functionality, but that's just more overhead.

Stopping them from getting in the door is always more efficient, and -- so far at least -- this "CleanTalk" system has done wonders where even recaptcha was falling flat on its face. I'm not 100% sure we're not blocking legitimate attempts at joins, but again that's where my contact form as a fallback comes into play as does CleanTalk's metrics.

I'm usually not much of one for analytics beyond what my server provides, but their organization and reporting of who is blocked and why is both intriguing and useful. I had a lot of people "talk up" how great it was, and I have to say that so far, I'm impressed.

... and at this point you guys know me, how often do I say that?

Anyhow, I'm going to give it a month to see how well it holds up. In particular I'm looking for false positives. Thankfully they report all blocks so I can easily go in and browse them.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2021, 03:00:07 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement