CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Bank behavior that should be treated as criminal.  (Read 1545 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Bank behavior that should be treated as criminal.
« on: 30 Oct 2019, 04:36:28 pm »
Don't know how many of you have seen this little gem:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/national-bank-canada-customer-banking-privacy-1.5334059

For those of you afraid of following a link, A bank in Canada is requiring users accounts and passwords from OTHER banks to register for their online services.

Lemme say that again, they're asking for the login credentials of their clients AT OTHER BANKS!

I deal with banks a lot, and when it comes to common sense, security, accessibility, usability, or even good practices there are few more incompetent fools "faking it until they make it" than in the upper echelon of bank development. Most of them barely know the most basic of security practices, much less give a flying purple fish if their train wrecks of how NOT to use HTML, CSS, or JavaScript are actually useful to end users.

That's why I get hired to clean up their messes as an accessibility consultant.

But this? This goes above and beyond... To the people in charge at "National Bank of Canada" all I can say is...

But do they solve the problem by admitting fault? Hell no, they're doubling down on the stupid trying to defend it. SAD part is I've dealt with these types of two faced social generals enough times to know they'll just by their way out of the problem without changing a thing.

Hence why I have an idea. I've already done it, I'm promoting this idea around the web, and I'd ask anyone effected by this, or even just understands what's wrong with it to do the same. It's an obvious solution.

Report their site to Google Safe Browsing for being a phishing scam.

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/?hl=en

Problem? Solution. If enough of us report, it will get attention to get them investigated. Since the claim that they are asking for other account credentials -- phishing -- is entirely true, it will get them that nice full screen "we're blocking access" page.

So please, do like I did. Go to the above link, type in:

Code: [Select]
https://www.nbc.ca/
as the offending site, type in "they are phishing for other banks login credentials, as reported in the news".

Because if this doesn't qualify as reason enough to treat them as unsafe for general users, nothing does.

We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: Bank behavior that should be treated as criminal.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2019, 05:16:08 pm »
Hi there Jason,

that really is unbelievable.
On second thoughts it's not.

Banks are always fcuking up in one way or another and
everyone else, except them, has to foot the bill.  ::)

I have done as you suggested with the Google report,
but know that the banks scamming departments will
soon come up with other ways of parting the gullible
from their money.

... all I can say is...
You'za wents full Gungan
Meesa sayz yew nevah
goes FULL Gungan

Can you give this old bugger, from the other side of
the pond, an anglicised version of this oft repeated
quote of yours?

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2019, 07:29:47 pm »
Can you give this old bugger, from the other side of
the pond, an anglicised version of this oft repeated
quote of yours?
It's a mix of two things.

First half is one of the most hated character in Star Wars, Jar Jar Binks... who, well, to be frank his whole race is special in the same way some Olympics are special. And of this entire alien race of idiots, he's the heir to the throne of all idiots. The character is particularly hated because he is for all intents and purposes a "sambo" stereotype right out of something like Amos and Andy.... almost making one wonder if George Lucas is at heart a giant racist.

The second half is from the movie "Tropic Thunder" where somehow Robert Downey Jr. plays blackface without mocking, upsetting, or disturbing a single black person. (he plays it flat, respectful, and he's the smartest guy in the movie... almost treading on the "wise black person" trope), where he bemoans another actor (Ben Stiller) having gone "full retard" in hist last role.

Here's the whole scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

Yes, that's Iron Man, in blackface, talking about retarded. I've not heard a single person of colour or a single person with a mental handicap bitch about it.

Pakled's from Star Trek:TNG are another great choice for the old joke "we really hope there's intelligent life out there, because what if we're it?". They look for things, things to make them go.

Yeah, I'm a dork. I admit it. Hell I'm proud of it. And it's a great way to say "retarded" without upsetting the know-nothings who get their panties in a knot over the word "retard"... a word right out of the dictionary meaning slowed, hindered, impeded.

A word I'm not going to stop using just because some "woke" know-nothings get their knickers in a twist over it, as if changing the name for a condition magically cures the condition. I'm not going to use a niggard hand with my vocabulary just because some morons can't be bothered to read a dictionary, or think a word SOUNDS offensive.

Now if you'll excuse me, I still have to get the hooker on this Wankel, and finish my remaining two fags. I'll then probably take off the coverslut, and go rest under the asshart. Sadly being after twatter-light it's unlikely any of the stormcocks, tit-babblers, turderform, or even hole breeders are out for me to admire. Thankfully it's cold enough that the mosquitos breeding in the spunk water are nowhere to be found. Cold enough I might even cozy up with a dickpot.

Anyone offended by that? Please learn English -- or at least look up a term before you get upset by its use.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2019, 07:33:19 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2019, 08:36:09 pm »
Hi there Jason,

I am not really conversant with modern films at all

I do remember though my last two visits to the cinema.

In the  early 60's I saw Ben Hur staring Charlton Heston
and in the early 80's I saw  Pink Floyd's The Wall, then
went home, had a spliff and never returned.

So basically  what you're saying, is that  "Gungan"
is a state of mentally retardation.

Well, I am definitely in a  "Gungan" state.  ???

Whether this is  full or partial I am not sure, but whatever
it may be, I just put it down as par for  the course for an
old bugger like me.

As for being offended, how could I possibly be offended
by anybody's  words - American English or UK  English?

I smile benignly. ;)

coothead
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2019, 08:45:13 pm by coothead »

vinyl-junkie

• Music Around The World - trade & want lists, album reviews, collecting tips & much more
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2019, 09:32:05 pm »
This reminds me of something that happened to me a number of years ago, which was trying to set up automatic payment of my gym membership dues. These days, that's pretty easy but at the time it wasn't, and honestly I forget exactly how I was going about doing it. Anyway, someone called me at work claiming to be affiliated with the gym in some way and wanted to verify my bank account number over the phone because they were having trouble setting up the automatic payment. I explained to them that I don't give that information over the phone to anyone, and that I would be happy to stop in to the gym after work and get the problem sorted out. While I think the call probably was legitimate, why take the risk that it's not?

sunfighter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:04:53 pm »
Never heard the word "spliff " used for a joint  before. Had to look it up. The urban dictionary says it's a combo of weed and tobacco for people that don't have enough weed. Sad. What's worst here is smoking AFTER seeing The Wall. It should have been done before.

I remember going to the john and toking up before that special scene in 2001. Seen the movie multiple times back then. Not that great now, but still light up before watching Heavy Metal, for the music you understand.
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:08:38 pm »

Ah, the eng-uk - spliff;)

Quote from: sunfighter
The urban dictionary says it's a combo of weed and
tobacco for people that don't have enough weed.

Sad.

Your urban dictionary's description was  only half
right as far I was concerned.  ::)
Back in the 70's and 80's I used to grow my own.

My spliffs were 100% freshly grown greenery.  8)

Quote from: sunfighter
What's worst here is smoking AFTER seeing The Wall.
It should have been done before.

For literary effect I decided not to mention what
I did before.  ???

Now, in my dotage, I no longer have  any need
for mind changing drugs, alcohol, nicotine or
painkillers.

Having said that the way that Aldous Huxley
choose to leave this life has  a certain appeal.

On his deathbed, Aldous Huxley asked to be injected with LSD

It was,  in my opinion,  probably a far  better way
to shake off one's mortal coil than that of J.F.K
who  went on the same day. - Nov 22nd, 1963.

coothead

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement