CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Maybe they just need to learn more?  (Read 1057 times)

Gary-SC

Maybe they just need to learn more?
« on: 30 Oct 2019, 08:24:10 pm »
I can't help thinking to myself, "Maybe they just need to learn more instead of relying on yet another helper tool." Shouldn't we be fluent in HTML/CSS to be able to spell out at least the most essential and commonly used tags and attributes correctly?

https://css-tricks.com/why-are-accessible-websites-so-hard-to-build/

mmerlinn

• Nutcake
Re: Maybe they just need to learn more?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2019, 10:44:47 pm »
LOL.

The link you provided talks about accessibility yet that site is INACCESSIBLE itself. All that is visible to me is everything AFTER "most public example of a company being sued because of a lack of accessibility." NOTHING except TWO pages of MENU is visible before that.

The soul purr pus of a spell cheque cur is two valley date hour ignore ants.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Maybe they just need to learn more?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2019, 11:14:57 pm »
NOTHING except TWO pages of MENU is visible before that.
Again, faulty scripttardery with no graceful degradation.

The article itself is so short sighted, but that goes with the title itself.

Accessible websites are NOT hard to build.

They are only SEEM hard to do if you ignore the purpose of HTML, ignore semantics, don't practice separation of presentation from content, think that JavaScript and frameworks  serve any legitimate purpose in your development process, and basically flip the bird at every good practice and genuine advancement of the past twenty years.

The reek of "triple i" amongst developers claiming to be professionals is disastrous. The vast majority being nothing more than frauds who really need to pack it in and go do something less dangerous like macramé.

I've spent the past decade freelancing as an accessibility consultant for places in court for civil and criminal cases on this matter. I have been witness for both the defense and prosecution in such litigation....

... and EVERY JOE BLASTED TIME I go into a place, the existing IT staff fight tooth and nail with the same lame excuses, wanton ignorance, and even willful malice on the topic. As I've said several places these are the EXACT SAME types of asshats who park in handicap spaces, bitch about the expense of having their business need wheelchair ramps, and in general have a painfully privileged dismissive attitude towards the entire topic! Again, as I've said many times, it's a sociopathic -- bordering on psychopathic -- lack of empathy towards others mated to an equal utter and complete lack of care about the quality of the work.

Which is why overall the entire web development industry and the sleazy scum rising to the top of it reeks more of a carnival sideshow than legitimate business efforts!

We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement