CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: /for_others download snapshots  (Read 659 times)

fgm

/for_others download snapshots
« on: 25 Aug 2021, 05:57:45 am »
This section of CutCodeDown is great since you can get working examples of web code, but browsing and downloading them online is a bit of a pain. Would be possible to add a link to download the full directory? having a local copy would be really handy and more efficient.

I'm grateful for all the information shared here and I understand this may be intended so it brings more visits to the site.

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
Re: /for_others download snapshots
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2021, 10:00:25 pm »
I agree that the /for_others/ information is very good and it is a shame that Jason prefers to "do it his way" and not follow tried and tested alternatives such as GitHub Repositories. They are free and once a Repository has been created the following commands will upload all files in seconds. The public files can then be downloaded using a single SSH Commamd URL or a ZIP file which requires more keystrokes :(

Code: [Select]
git add .
git commit -m "optional message"
git push

There are graphical interfaces available for Windows and Mac users which I believe are user friendly.

Online Forums relating to programming scripts are now "old hat" and perhaps Jason is afraid of the ease that GitHub users are able create "Issues"?

Reminds me of old dogs and new tricks :)
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2021, 12:12:50 am by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

fgm

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2021, 10:23:51 am »
I'd just setup a crontab to run a script that periodically takes a snapshot of the full directory into a zip file and deletes the previous one. It would be way easier than having to mess with git and github.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2021, 12:42:56 pm by fgm »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2021, 11:25:52 am »
Warning, I'm about to violate my own forum rules, but screw it I'm DONE when it comes to Git.

Thing is /for_others/ not really meant as a place to copy old code from. Half that stuff's a decade old or older now... Most if not all of the contents there are directly tied to specific posts on various forums, or articles. As such there is NO reason for "realtime updating' or "commits" or any of the rest of that pointless time wasting overhead. THERE ARE NO UPDATES! Nothing would "change" as it's old examples.

I'd say over two-thirds that is stuff you shouldn't be "downloading" in the first place, and if it is I put a .zip file in there. I certainly find it easier to browse the code where it is now than the utter dumpster fire that is shithub... where 99% of the time I can't even find where/when people make updates anyways!

Browse in place, learn from it if you can/must, but it's not exactly what I'd call the most up to date of sources and NO, nothing there is EVER to be updated really. It's an archive. That's the FREAKING POINT OF AN ARCHIVE!!!. Do you magically expect the "wayback machine" on "Internet Archive" to update old pages? DAFUQ?!?

This is why I utterly fail to see what the devil you folks think that shit or shithub would provide for benefits... BEFORE I talk about the shit-show that idiocy is.

EVERY F***ING TIME Git gets involved in anything I've ever worked on, it's cocked the entire damned process sideways and blown endless time on its dipshit rubbish.

Something I had mess me up for a week with someone earlier this month as they made a "feedback" fork and I was still looking at "master" wondering where the **** the update was. I just kept asking "could you just send me a .zip of your updated copy" because I couldn't find it!

F*** git, F*** shitub. And if you have a problem with that, F*** you too! Take that steaming dung-heap, dump a can of shellac on it, shine it up real nice, turn it sideways, and stick it straight up your candied asses.

I have no use for it, AND IT IS NOT WELCOME IN ANYTHING I DO!

Especially with the number of know-nothing numbnuts out there who seem to use it just to turn a 10k project that shouldn't be more than five files in one directory into a 200k train wreck of 200 files in 10 directories!
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2021, 02:21:19 am »
@Jason Knight,
I'm curious to know about "violating the rules".

I appreciate about most of the scripts are "archives" but must say that some problems may occur when software or security updates are activated. Github "Issues" could then be raised and the "archives" updated - and the Zip file automatically updates.

It is a pity that the updates to https://cutcodedown.com/for_others/squire3/ were becoming cumbersome and the following thread is an interesting discussion why the project was discontinued:

https://forums.cutcodedown.com/index.php?topic=399.msg2133#msg2133

Can you explain why Microsoft decided to acquire Github for  $7.5 billion in stock?

https://news.microsoft.com/announcement/microsoft-acquires-github/

I will reiterate and say that Github is well worth taking the time to learn even just the basics and convinced some of the "archives" would benefit instead of sticking rigidly to outdated practices.

Edit showing the power of GitHub:
I follow the GitHub CodeIgniter4 Repository which started about three years ago and has dozens of daily issues which are managed by the following Admins:

https://github.com/codeigniter4/CodeIgniter4/graphs/contributors
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2021, 06:19:29 am by John_Betong »

fgm

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2021, 08:12:08 am »
It makes no sense to raise issues for old code that is not intended to be updated since it's an archive.

Focusing on the topic, even if the code is old it's *very* helpful since it gives clues on how to structure parts of websites. Thank you Jason.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2021, 08:14:46 am by fgm »

John_Betong

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2021, 12:22:59 am »
It makes no sense to raise issues for old code that is not intended to be updated since it's an archive.

Focusing on the topic, even if the code is old it's *very* helpful since it gives clues on how to structure parts of websites. Thank you Jason.

I far prefer code that is working especially when trying new scripts.

Why should archived fail to work and necessitate Debugging strange code. I think it is preferable to have a GiHub Repository to allow for users to raise issues. As an example when PHP is upgraded to a newer version, some scripts may need adjustments.

And don't forget...

There's an App for that :)
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2021, 01:45:55 am by John_Betong »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement