CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Aaron Swartz movie  (Read 558 times)

Gary-SC

Aaron Swartz movie
« on: 27 Jan 2022, 03:44:34 am »
Hello Jason, have you watched this movie:

"The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz | full movie (2014)" 1:44:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vz06QO3UkQ

Do you have any interesting insights you can share as someone who knew him personally?

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Aaron Swartz movie
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2022, 07:11:49 am »
I'll add it to my playlist, and come back once I've watched it. Middle of Boba ep 5 right now. Well, have it going in the background as I work on unit testing Elementals 5 Beta 1... which is DAMNED close to skipping being a RC altogether.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2022, 07:13:54 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2022, 03:37:04 am »
Hi @Gary-SC,

Many thanks for the link to the full-length Aaron Swartz movie which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The video clips when he was really young, virtually just out of his nappies/diapers were an eye-opener. I never appreciated just how brilliant the guy actually was at such a young age!

The guy died far too young and his leadership could have made a big difference to the modern internet. May he RIP and  always be remembered.
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2022, 08:49:57 am »
I've got some trepidation going into this. It's bad enough every time I watch a documentary about anything I already know/understand they get every single detail wrong...

... but even after a decade it might be "too soon" emotionally. I lost six friends in two years, four of them half my age. Five of them under highly dubious circumstances. (Like Ian's alleged suicide)

To the point I was wondering when "they" were coming for me.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2022, 09:20:29 am »
I had to stop watching. The moment that dipshit Doctorow dropped the word "combative" I was done.

Aaron and I talked a lot about how people considered any questioning of the status quo to be "too controversial" or "socially unacceptable' or "combative" and so forth.

F*** Y'all! When you're dealing with a industry riddled with sleazy dirtbags, predators, and regulators determined to make any questioning of the almighty "status quo" the bad guy, STAND UP TO THEM!

He'd probably still be with us if the assholes -- many of whom were in the first ten minutes of the video -- hadn't fought him at every turn!

Though as always most of them are oblivious to how they treated him, much less what Aaron really thought of them!

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2022, 08:59:34 pm »
@Jason,

Words fail me but I will try to respond.

Did you actually decide in the first ten minutes that the one hour and forty five minute movie was not worth watching… just because of a single word? What about Ying and Yang to exploit opinions and allow you to reach a conclusion after watching?

I’m afraid your post should be ignored and not in the least relevant to others, who should find the documented path, from childhood to his unfortunate death enlightening.

Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2022, 09:35:52 pm »
Did you actually decide in the first ten minutes that the one hour and forty five minute movie was not worth watching… just because of a single word?
No, it was the mere presence of the asshole saying it, being labeled as a "Friend", mixed with the puff piece, damage control, and general filmmaker bullshit.

As someone who knew Aaron, the first ten minutes were over the top offensive, and reeked of going down a path I'm still not emotionally prepared for. There are people from his life, that would NOT want to meet me in a dark alleyway given where things went and how it ended.

Much as there are people from Dan's life that are very lucky we live in different states.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement