CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: is anyone else having problems opening this site or adding posts?  (Read 1978 times)

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
 I am using an iPad mini 2 and tried opening the side with five different browsers and the majority failed to open the site.

Sometimes refreshing the page or adding index.php opens the front page but other browsers refused point blank to open the page.

Is it because some browsers have Ad' blocking?

Should there be a notice "best viewed with..."
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Hmm... I don't have a mini to test with, let me check it in the emulation under xCode and see what's going on.

HOPEFULLY - strange as this sounds -- it's a software issues and not more domain related BS. I know crApple products drop the ball badly on anything that's 301... are you sure it's pointing at HTTPS and not HTTP?

But ad blocking should NOT be preventing this page from loading. I don't do that. I have ONE ad, I won't block people from the site if they choose to block it, but I have only one ad in the hope it won't send people diving for the adblock like other sites where they have one advertisement for every paragraph of content. (see Digital Point, or one of the many things that killed codingForums!)
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2019, 10:49:27 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
Ok, I've tested in every iOS device that's supported in xCode, and whilst the layout goes wonky since we're still on a hack of the stock template that lacked responsiveness out of the box (another of the many reasons a total rewrite is needed) I was unable to replicate the site not loading, so I would suspect that the problem is networking related.

Can you give more information on what you mean by "not loading"? Are you getting a white screen? Black Screen? Cannot connect networking issues? Timeouts? Redirect failed errors?

HOW is it failing to load?
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

John_Betong

forums.cutcodedown.com/

The above URL pasted into the following:

Safari and Opera Touch  are both ok

Brave, Firefox and Chrome timeout.

Also Brave post Save button unresponsive but Preview ok. While previewing Save ok
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2019, 11:49:17 am by John_Betong »

mmerlinn

• Nutcake
I am not having any problems posting whatsoever, but then I am on a desktop (Dell and Apple) using FF.  Do not have any other devices to check.
The soul purr pus of a spell cheque cur is two valley date hour ignore ants.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
forums.cutcodedown.com/

Are you SURE it's going to HTTPS consistently? Apple products for some reason inhale upon the proverbial equine of short stature at MAINTAINING https or connecting to same, ALWAYS reverting to http out of the clear blue, and then having to walk through any 301's in the process.

... and it doesn't seem to be a browser issue, but an OS level one since other browsers on the platform have the same problem.

Try FORCING https://forums.cutcodedown.com instead of just typing the domain, and see if it makes a difference. If so, well...

I have no idea what to do about that since it's a crApple specific issue.

ian

• Keeping on
  • Global Moderator
I'm having no issues on Ubuntu, it's one of the fastest loading sites going. Must be that the fruit can't handle something so fast!
Our desire for order and definition is often outweighed by our ability.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
I'm having no issues on Ubuntu, it's one of the fastest loading sites going. Must be that the fruit can't handle something so fast!
Which is funny given that by my standards, this skin is a fat bloated wreck...

But we don't have a lot going on in terms of database traffic yet, and as the lame excuse we hear parroted all the time says, "The real bottleneck on a dynamic website is the database".

Which of course is why the upgrade from PHP 5.x to 7.x provided massive speed boosts to codeignitor, laravel, and wordpress. Of course it is. :D

sunfighter

• Global Moderator
As you might know I am on windows10 with firefox and I'm having no problem.
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

John_Betong

Re: is anyone else having problems opening this site or adding posts?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2019, 10:27:41 am »
I am still having time out problems even using the desktop...

...but today noticed that timeouts mostly occur when opening a forum tab which has not been used for quite some time and selecting a link which requires my login credentials.

Selecting "Forum Categories" opens instantly and I am then able to open another link which requires my login credentials.

Is it because the login process quickly times out and will not open restricted pages?

benanamen

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:50:22 am »
Just for the record, I have no problems whatsoever using this site. Win 10/Firefox v70.0.1
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2019, 02:17:28 pm »
...but today noticed that timeouts mostly occur when opening a forum tab which has not been used for quite some time and selecting a link which requires my login credentials.
As you're not a moderator and you have well over five posts, there shouldn't be anything requiring "login credentials". There should be NO "restricted pages" requiring a login on your part at your level of user access.

When you log in, what are you choosing in the " auto logout after" SELECT? Try upping that value.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2019, 03:42:29 pm by Jason Knight »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement