CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Asking and answering questions  (Read 246 times)

ian

• Keeping on
  • Global Moderator
Asking and answering questions
« on: 21 Oct 2019, 09:34:43 pm »
I'd like to suggest putting links to guides (or even guides) into the registration confirmation email on answering and asking questions?
Our desire for order and definition is often outweighed by our ability.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Asking and answering questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2019, 08:47:20 am »
I was thinking on that as a sticky in each section that would need it, since each one would have slightly different requirements of what we "need" to help.

Anyone feels like helping put together such posts for review, feel free to take a stab at it.
Sorrow hides well in your shell. A fellow man with hurt to spare.
Dear one, here I am to share the fear. An act of kindness, without an amen.
Come in, the fire's warm. Burn the rope and dance some more.

sunfighter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2019, 11:22:58 am »
What I would is force all new users to read the rules, by making a it the first thing they see after submitting their profile or if your verifying them through email Make the rules what they see with a welcome title.
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ian

• Keeping on
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2019, 12:56:09 pm »
The problem with stickies is that they are not read very often, when someone needs to ask a question, they rarely stop by to read the rules before asking a question.

I was thinking more along the lines of sunfighter with something in the welcome email, but stickies will refine advice for specific areas. I've had a stab, and would welcome amendments accordingly, but I think short and sweet will get better results.

---------------------------------
When asking questions, make it clear what the problem is you are facing:

“It doesn’t work!” means very little, what doesn’t work? How do you know it doesn’t work? What should it do? What does it do?

“Help” give us a clue, few will open the post to see what you want help with, we already know that you’re likely to want help, be specific.

Sell you question, pique interest, show that you’ve tried, be prepared to interact, be prepared to answer some questions.

If it’s not the answer you’re looking for, politely say so and explain why and maybe rephrase or refine your question.

Sometimes, you will have to accept that an answer given is indeed the answer regardless of what you first thought!

When answering questions,

If the OP hasn’t read the manual by now, or hasn’t understood the legalese in the manual, then RTFM or copy pasting paragraphs are unlikely to help as an answer.

Coding requires a certain amount of patience, the OP is most likely to be in a hurry and has spent what they feel is a lifetime trying to resolve the said problem.

Wind up merchants exist, language can often be the largest barrier; English can be taken in many ways.

We all started somewhere, we all made mistakes; many of us didn’t have the luxury of the internet when we started coding and could only shout at the cat.

---------------------------------------

Food for thought.

I'll have a go later at doing some stickies for each section.
Our desire for order and definition is often outweighed by our ability.

Advertisement