CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Experiences with IIS  (Read 1842 times)

gleepower

Experiences with IIS
« on: 16 Nov 2019, 08:53:48 am »
Anyone had a pleasant experience with IIS here?

I've used it at work and found it very painful (along with most Microsoft products - SQL Server and Windows Server). Mostly because it's seems you have to configure with a GUI most of the time, which it's painful and hard to automate.

You can configure it through the command line and xml files, but all of the documentation and guides online seem to push you to go through the GUIs.
The beaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding beaucracy

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Experiences with IIS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2019, 11:29:08 am »
Honestly, most all web servers have the issue of crappy documentation mated to pointlessly convoluted and complex configuration. It's an ongoing problem that's likely never to be addressed because the people who make these systems seem to think it needs to be that way.

But IIS is in it's own little world of derp with its blatant lack of efficiency, security, etc, etc. That it is tied to windows for use is a perfect example of why it should NOT be used in the first place, given that using Windows for servers is like using Linux for a desktop OS. It can be done, but prepare for a degraded and crippled experience.

Just as I find Linux to be crippled as a desktop OS, with piss-poor font rendering -- parti cula rly kern ing of t ext -- neutered video card capabilities, degraded audio, painfully bad audio latency rendering it useless for realtime production use, half the hardware I want to use not even being supported, etc, etc, etc, I find Windows equally hobbled as a server OS.

I do not understand why anyone would choose Windows as a server OS or Microsoft technologies for web development. They do not have a track record that inspires confidence, and if you know the first blasted thing about the topic HOW they go about doing things is the antithesis of good practices.

YMMV.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

gleepower

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2019, 02:07:46 pm »
Aye, the monstrous cost of windows server, and the pain of windows update alone is enough to put me off it...

fgm

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2019, 07:38:37 pm »
I'd recommend you to consider OpenBSD as web server OS. It's rock solid and the upgrades always work fine without issues. I switched from Linux to OpenBSD without looking back since Debian moved to SystemD.

It has its own web server (httpd) but you can install Nginx from packages if you need more features.

gleepower

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2019, 08:10:34 am »
Don't the BSD have alot less support than the linuxs? Also what's wrong with systemd? Isn't software gradually going to become dependent on it, which will leave the BSD's behind?
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2019, 08:12:28 am by gleepower »

fgm

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2019, 08:54:48 am »
SystemD adds a lot of complexity to the system and it has a bad security record. OpenBSD is the opposite. BSD is not an OS, OpenBSD is a full operating system.

I'd say OpenBSD's support is much better, specially if you include the documentation. For example, take a look at the FAQ: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html . The man pages are excellent too and they have mailing lists and an IRC channel (#OpenBSD at Freenode), but they won't spoon-feed you. You have to read the documentation and do the homework before asking for a solution.

Of course there are OpenBSD developers that offer paid support.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2019, 08:57:11 am by fgm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement