CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Gold standard websites  (Read 1820 times)

gleepower

Gold standard websites
« on: 16 Nov 2019, 09:11:18 am »
What are people's favourite designed websites?

For me it's

https://sqlite.org/index.html

it's just so fast, easy and simple to get to the content I want. The writing is stellar as well (as is SQLite).

Stackoverflow gets an honourable mention as well, for working without both javascript and css!
The beaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding beaucracy

mmerlinn

• Nutcake
Re: Gold standard websites
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2019, 12:00:10 pm »
Not impressed with either site.

Sqlite seems to always be too busy or temporarily unavailable and therefore never loads.

Stackoverflow loads just fine, but has overlapping content.  Further it DOES require javascript, but according to the error message on the loaded page the javascript failed to load. No idea why as I do NOT block javascript. That MAY be the reason for the overlapping content.
The soul purr pus of a spell cheque cur is two valley date hour ignore ants.

gleepower

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2019, 02:09:10 pm »
Really I've never had a problem with sqlite.org not loading...
The beaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding beaucracy

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2019, 04:59:20 pm »
Sqlite seems to always be too busy or temporarily unavailable and therefore never loads.
Ok, that's the point there HAS to be something wrong on your end. It has no graceful degradation issues since it's not reliant on JS, it's well under 80k for ALL eight of the files on the home page, and I've never once seen it down.

There's nothing there to even indicate it would cause problems for anyone. In terms of file-counts and sizes, it gets a massive thumbs up from me.

It's a shame it's got accessibility issues galore from the gibberish markup. Nonsensical use of numbered headings, missing headings, broken keyboard navigation, missing tags that haven't been optional since 1997, failure to separate presentation from content, JavaScript for nothing we've needed scripting for since 2008, presentational images in the markup, no logical document structure, static scripting slopped into the markup...

Or even just simple failures like a lack of max-width to make long paragraphs less of a pain the ass on larger displays.

It's a relic of the worst of transitional practices, even if it does have a HTML 5 doctype on it.  Hence it wasting 8k of HTML on doing around 5k of HTML's job. Particularly bad with the "JS for nothing" on the "consortium members" section.

It's by no means a horrible site, but it does need some loving to drag it kicking and screaming into THIS century... preferably before the century is out. Oh... wait... yeah, that's probably not gonna happen.

It's very hard for me to pick a gold standard website given that 99.99% of what is out there is built on twenty year old practices and a complete ignorance of accessibility norms. The reek of ignorance amongst those building websites right now rarely to be found outside of cult-like radical extremism.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

qwikad.com

• Free & Paid Classified Advertising
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2019, 09:23:45 pm »
I told mmerlinn a few months back on DP that there was an issue with his computer. I believe some essential javascripts were either disabled or deleted from his browser / OS.
Free & Paid Classified Advertising: https://QwikAd.com

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2019, 10:19:42 pm »
I told mmerlinn a few months back on DP that there was an issue with his computer. I believe some essential javascripts were either disabled or deleted from his browser / OS.
I don't think it's JS -- he often browses with JS disabled and the parts they're using "JS for nothing" to accomplish are not mission-critical to the site working.

... and certainly wouldn't cause the "timeouts or unavailable" he's claiming. The site is too simple for that.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement