CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Any openGL / Vulkan folks know about perspectives?  (Read 3376 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Any openGL / Vulkan folks know about perspectives?
« on: 19 Nov 2019, 07:23:03 pm »
I'm once again working on doing 360 degree projections in a 6:1 aspect across the top of the screen. The best way seems to be arctangent, but that means I can't use any of the native perspective calculations.

This means all my vector calculations can't seem to be done on the GPU in an efficient manner, making the game in question be painfully tied to the CPU. I mean I could try leveraging shaders, but sending the math to the GPU and then back to the CPU to send to the CPU again seems... bad.

Is there any way anyone's aware of to simply tell either OpenGL or Vulkan to widen the FOV to a 360x60 perspective, or is the Z divide simply so ingrained in the perspective map that it just can't do it.

Side note, I hate matrix math. How anyone can think that 64 multiplies of 32 values can be more efficient than two multiply, two divide, and two add/subtracts of six values utterly escapes me.... much less everyone feeling it was so much better a way they ended up throwing silicon at it.

But again, I do my 3d math using atan2 so...
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Any openGL / Vulkan folks know about perspectives?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2020, 05:47:50 am »
Side note, I think it's comedy how this thread has become the go-to for spammers. I wonder what makes it the most popular place for the dirtbags to post their garbage?
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: Any openGL / Vulkan folks know about perspectives?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2020, 09:56:17 am »
I wonder what makes it the most popular place
for the dirtbags to post their garbage?

Is it possible that they find  this sub-heading...

"Anything not related to web development"

...to be rather appealing?  ???

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement