CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: I purchased a 357 Magnum and a 9mm semi auto rifle  (Read 133 times)

durangod

• Weebles Wobble - but they dont fall down!
I purchased a 357 Magnum and a 9mm semi auto rifle
« on: 16 Mar 2024, 02:17:18 am »
Happy day for me, my 357 magnum pistol and 9mm semi auto rifle arrived at the FFL and i picked it up today.

Gonna go shoot them this weekend at the range.... Next purchase is a tactical semi auto 12 guage shotgun :)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: I purchased a 357 Magnum and a 9mm semi auto rifle
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2024, 04:32:00 pm »
Coolness. What did you get for a .357?

As I'm oft riding about in the woods late at night (3am-ish) on my e-bike, I've been carrying a S&W model 665, 2" snubby since wolves and bears are a legit concern.

Old pic, I had the hammer bobbed for DAO 'cause it was snagging on me.

Solid, reliable, simple, and small without being too small for the oven mitts I have for hands. Easy CC so I don't freak out the cashier at Cumby's and 7-11. "oh my gawd, he has a gun!!!"

I've been thinking on getting a CZ-P10F... I eyed the compact when it came out. A polymer striker-fired CZ? Yes please... but I tried one at a local shop and it was just so tiny... the other compact striker fired being no better.  I don't get how grown adults use "compacts" much less the "purse gun" sizes SAFELY. I was clinging on for dear life with it ready to fly out of my hands not because they were "powerful", but because it was so tiny I could not get a solid purchase on it.

For the rifle did you go with the "new" S&W Response, or did you go classic with something like a Henry carbine?

I've laughed at a few 9mm rifles I've seen with 12" barrels, where it ends up with a lower muzzle velocity than a 9" because, well... 9mm doesn't pack enough powder for barrels that length and it turns into negative pressure around 10" out.

Of course starting a garden this spring I'm thinking on a .177HMR for varminting. Thinking on a Taurus tracker since I'd prefer not to have a big rifle sitting around all the time, and I'm probably talking ranges of 15 yards or less from my window to the garden. Scoped long-bore revolver is overkill when the round is pushing mach 3.

We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2024, 08:57:51 pm »

The Jolliboy waterpistol made by the Toby Toy company.

I bought one with my pocket money in the early 1950's 
for, if my memory serves me well, about four shillings
and sixpence.  It was  the only gun that I ever owned.
As I moved into my teenage years I lost interest in it, 
in particular and all firearms in general.

Reading this thread, makes me realise just how lucky
I am not to have or feel any need for such weapons
as Dave and Jason possess.

As a matter of interest, though, have you guys had
any personal training that would enable you to use
your weapons in confrontational situations?  Of
course it might just be a  hereditary  thing as you
guys have been legally totting guns since 1791.

Note
In the 1950's four shillings  and sixpence  Sterling
would roughly equate to  28 cents US Dollar.

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

durangod

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2024, 09:01:05 pm »
This is what i got...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/62395/hi-point+995fgflts+995ts+carbine+9mm+16.50+10+1+black+all+weather+molded+stock+w+forward+folding+grip+and+weapon-mounted

and this

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/31300/taurus+65b4+m65+6rd+357mag+38sp+4

crazy how expensive 357 magnum ammo is....  9mm has come down quite a bit due to the war and mass production but 357 production is slow so everyone is getting premium price for their inventory...  about .65 cents a bullet.

I ordered 2 boxes of HP, and 2 boxs of FMJ, $95 bucks.... ouch...

I also ordered a vertical shoulder holster for the 357,  its not dirty harry but ill settle for dirty dave lol  :)

In Texas we can carry almost whatever we want and how ever many we want (rifles are different), i doubt if i will wear both the 357 and my 9mm pistol at the same time, but i might do it just because i can a few times.    Brass knuckels are legal here as well.. 

S & W owns taurus so im sure they share some quality with them. 

Yep the tracker is a really good pistol...  it was just a bit on the high side price wize so i went with the model 65.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2024, 09:06:52 pm by durangod »

durangod

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2024, 09:11:47 pm »
@ Coothead,

I am ex military (army) and yes i have also taken training on my own dollar.  I would not be carrying if i ever considered myself a danger.   I do have a conceal carry permit from Texas so many times noone even knows i have it.  Its one of those things that sadly if they find out, then they did something really bad and  are already bleeding. 

Of course noone ever reacts in a real situation like they do in training, but training helps you focus on what you need to get done.

I dont own or carry a gun because i want to ever shoot anyone, i dont.. Its a horrible thing to do.  However if its a choice between me and them, im not going to stand there and get shot, im going to fight back.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2024, 11:43:19 pm »
Reading this thread, makes me realise just how lucky
I am not to have or feel any need for such weapons
as Dave and Jason possess.

It's all about both geography and risk. Like I don't really carry it for use against people because I'm in back-woods New Hampshire. They're generally not the threat. I've had two close encounters with bears unarmed where what I learned up in Alaska saved my tuchas, but all that did was prompt me to arm up. Especially after there were some nighttime wolf attacks.

With my non-24 sleep-wake disorder when awake in the middle of the night, sometimes I just want to go for a ride. Really that's the only time I feel the NEED to strap up.

I worry about the tic-tac dicked clowns with their coal rolling pickups that have never had anything heavier in the bed than their dog, and never gone over harsher terrain than some loose leaves, who feel the need to walk around Walmart with their tricked out AR-15 and four mags.

Normal "human hours" around town, never had or seen reason for me to be armed. Even though I am the reason the tiki-torch march crybaby (a member of free keene) felt the need to brag about how he's armed on national TV... when he was on parole at the time. Appearently people are less likely to punch him in the face when he's armed. Seriously, if it's just "less likely" some serious self reflection should be taken.

As a matter of interest, though, have you guys had any personal training that would enable you to use your weapons in confrontational situations?
My father was a gunsmith, so I've been around guns since I was in swaddling cloths. My period of service in the Air Force -- particularly ejection survival training -- further prepared me for harsh conditions. More so since I took said training in Alaska and lived in AK for a year and a half.

You want dangerous wildlife, fear the Moose. They're assholes. :D

Though personally I've never owned more than three firearms at once. Typically a plinker for fun, something serious for wildlife defense, and a hunting rifle. Right now I'm down to just the revolver as it's all I really "need" as I'm not quite far enough in the boonies for hunting, nor did I have a practical means of hauling a carcass.

The latter problem having been recently addressed by getting a trailer for the e-bike.

I might get a more practical PDW when/if I build my camper trailer (another planned project for before I cash in) though part of the plan is some long distance touring, and that's where you run into the carry laws changing at every blasted state border.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2024, 12:02:18 am »
would not be carrying if i ever considered myself a danger.
That is an aspect I know too many "gun nuts" that never take into consideration. It's not just about if you're in danger, it's about if you are in a condition mentally and physically to be trusted with one.

It's part of why despite being a gun owner, I'm pro gun control. Waiting periods don't bother me, background checks don't bother me, restricting sales and making them reported and operate under the same laws as a shop doesn't bother me.

But again, don't let a little Russian backed conservative propaganda fear-mongering get disrupted by a little common sense and precaution.

I do have a conceal carry permit from Texas so many times noone even knows i have it.
Which is part of the real reason why concealed carry is important. NH is "kind of" open carry too, but when you open carry non-gun people tend to get as panicky and nervous as your typical cracker who sees a black person on the street at night. It's often just less hassle to conceal so normies don't freak out at the sight of it.

And that's kind of odd given how commonplace people open carrying is. But again, if you can avoid the "hassle" of know-nothings losing their minds, it's worth the effort.

Of course noone ever reacts in a real situation like they do in training, but training helps you focus on what you need to get done.

And I quote:
In the heat of battle mental processes break down. The normal behavior of a normal person is to flee. In warfare, that tendency leads to nothing more than dead soldiers. Training and discipline exists to keep that brain functioning in situations that would destroy the psyche of the "man on the street", allowing the soldier to eliminate threats instead of succumbing to them.

Officers who are lax in their discipline and who do not weed out those failing in training are nothing more than butchers sending good men to their deaths.
-- General George S. Patton Jr. Private correspondence with Lt. General Troy Middleton.

durangod

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2024, 07:07:33 am »
So true that there are certainly people that carry now that should not be within 20 ft of a firearm.  I say firearm because anything can be a weapon.  I too have no problem with tightening the screw a bit on purchasing including background checks.

Every time i put on the weapon i pray i dont have to use it that day, its not something i ever want to do, but its something i may have to do.  To me its not about being a hero or saving the day.  To me its about several things, can i live with myself if i do nothing and just watch others die, can i stand there and wait for my turn to die, the answer to both is no.  So its really has nothing to do with bravery, it just has to do with survival, emotionally and physically.  Fighting back should something happen makes more sense that running away.

But there are certainly times when fleeing is the right choice.  Family comes first and i will flee to get them to safety first. Then i would stay with family unless there is noone else to deal with the threat. 

For many years after the military i never owned or cared about having a firearm.  But Columbine got me thinking about the new generation, not that young people have never commited crimes but i felt this was different, it got me thinking "what if".  But i still did not buy a firearm but i was certainly thinking about it.

Then of course 911 and it just seemed after that the line or what i refer to a "normal morality" moved and not in a good direction.  People have always had firearms in this country, our freedoms were won with them.  I was just not part of that world and never cared to be back then.   Things just changed, i dont want to try to analyse society but it just seems that peoples value of life itself changed. Mental illness has always been around, what i am referring to is that it just seems average people are snapping at an alarming rate.  And now rather than just take themselves out, they want to take lot of others with them. 

This could be the fact that tech now allows the news to flow around the world now in 20 sec where as before we never heard about it until the newspaper printed it.   So the volumn increase could be just the downside or newer communications tech.

But 6 years ago i decided it was time for me to arm myself as a civilian, and i have never regreted it.

« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2024, 07:11:39 am by durangod »

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2024, 09:40:22 am »
I think the UK gun culture is as strange to the Americans as the Americans is to us Brits…

I’m glad I life this side of the pond, but as I said above, I’m sure it’s more a culture thing!
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

durangod

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2024, 12:25:14 pm »
What gets me more than the difference between this side of the pond and that side (who knows which is right), is a problem we both share.  It sickens me to see people standing around with others all video taping a crime rather than try to stop it.   I guess they all want that big prize for a video.  Very few seem to want to get involved to help keep society in check and remind people there is a line we are not suppose to cross.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2024, 02:48:27 pm »
What gets me more than the difference between this side of the pond and that side (who knows which is right), is a problem we both share.  It sickens me to see people standing around with others all video taping a crime rather than try to stop it.   I guess they all want that big prize for a video.  Very few seem to want to get involved to help keep society in check and remind people there is a line we are not suppose to cross.
💯 agree on that!

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

durangod

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2024, 07:33:45 pm »
Bottom line is their will always be weapons..  Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4IP5y_ewTU

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2024, 03:12:01 am »
Bottom line is their will always be weapons..  Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4IP5y_ewTU
💯 sadly yes.

As I said our gun culture is very different to the USAs so feel it’s unfair to pass judgement/ and or comment…

I am not anti-gun as such….

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement