CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Versioning and deployment  (Read 1864 times)

gleepower

Versioning and deployment
« on: 25 Nov 2019, 04:06:15 pm »
Does anyone have a nifty solution for versioning and deployment? Not sure if it's just because windows and IIS are so anemic to scripting, but at work we have a real hard time with it. Then for allowing customers to choose their own versions (which just makes so much stuff really difficult - everything needs to be backwards compatible, and globally used services need to become version compliant) is horrible as well. Schema changes become a bit of a nightmare, and sometimes data migration is a pain as well. For example, if you allow rollbacks, a client dropping a not null constraint by going from version A to B, adding some rows, then trying to rollback to A instantly will cause a problem since nulls might have been inserted. Trying to this in a database agnostic way as well is hard, since different databases have different constraints on things like index length, constraints, transactions, permissioning, etc
The beaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding beaucracy

benanamen

Re: Versioning and deployment
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2019, 04:25:05 pm »
git/github is pretty much the de-facto standard which integrates with numerous deployment options.
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2019, 06:44:52 pm »
EVERYTHING I do is done with well organized directories. To set a milestone I have a batch file or shell script (Same thing, different OS) that just makes a new directory with the same base name but with the date and time attached as part of the filename, and then makes a copy.

... and as to uploading, I have client side script that does a DB dump (if needed), I go into filezilla, upload the directory, log into the shell and apply the DB dump (if needed).

Though in most cases the DB transfer isn't done because test data differs from live data.

It's not rocket science, it's only a handful of steps, and I don't really get why people need some sort of fancy "tool" to handle it.

Honestly if you can't maintain logical directory structures, creating milestones, and handling uploads? Well, might be time to review career choices.

But then I learned to do all this stuff decades before Git was a twinkle in Linus' eye... from a time where project managers ACTUALLY MANAGED THE PROJECT by doing what Git does... As well as actually being present for all cross communication between coding teams, handling code conflicts, and handing out tasks to each section with full supervision.

Unlike today where ALLEGED "project managers" spend their time time sucking up to the brass, scheduling meetings where meetings are scheduled, spewing marketspeak doubletalk worthy of a round of bullshit bing, and playing farmville than they do actually managing a damned thing.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

gleepower

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2019, 03:11:12 pm »
I feel when you get to a larger team with global databases and websites running on different versions for different clients it's gets slightly too complex for versioned folders to deal with!
The beaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding beaucracy

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2019, 06:23:56 pm »
I feel when you get to a larger team with global databases and websites running on different versions for different clients it's gets slightly too complex for versioned folders to deal with!
Not if everyone is given a province / task by the project manager, people actually TALK to each-other or run things past the project manager if they need to leave their assigned province, and the project manager is on top of handling all merges from the various teams.

In other words, doing their huffing job! But instead we have software that stops communication dead in its tracks, results in coders just making changes willy-nilly all over the place with little to no oversight, and "project managers" who do everything except manage the damned project.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement