CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Favorite OS "nobody" uses?  (Read 884 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Favorite OS "nobody" uses?
« on: 7 Dec 2019, 10:52:07 pm »
I've been a bit of an OS whore over the years -- be it every flavor of linux distro (where they all suck equally as desktop OS), attempts at cloning windows like ReactOS, or other flavors of Unix and *nix likes such as Darwin, FreeBSD, QNX, etc.

But I'm more interested in the real "fringe" OS that few people have heard of and fewer still ever used.

In my case the favorite is BeOS, and by extension Haiku. If Haiku was more mature, had a  better choice of browsers, and had a better selection of applications, it would be my go to. It feels so snappy, responsive... even the original BeOS was ridiculuosly well performing, back 20 years ago it could make a K6-2/450 feel like a bleeding edge hardware machine of today in how the UI performed and responded to input, or how well its pervasive multi-threading forced "give the user something" to the foreground. It was ridiculous how it could take 1990's hardware and handle things like multiple DVD quality video stream playbacks side-by-side on hardware where just one video would bring the machine to its knees in Windows and Linux... much less the realtime audio capabilities that make a BeBox as iconic a part of many recording studios as the Atari ST.

Sadly, I think said "pervasiveness" of multithreading, where EVERY program requires at LEAST two threads (input and display) is what makes there be so little software written for it. It takes an entirely different mindset and architectural design approach to write even a "hello world" for it, in a way that's so radically different from nearly every other GUI based OS.

But anyone have anything they love that's even more obscure?
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

benanamen

Re: Favorite OS "nobody" uses?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2019, 12:53:18 am »
MS-DOS 6.22
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

mmerlinn

• Nutcake
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2019, 02:20:09 am »
I have never used any obscure OS.  However, I cannot think of a worse OS than Windows.  Even the Apple II OS is better than Windows even though it is not much to brag about.

Most of my machines are Apples some with OSX which is a tiny step up from Windows and nothing to brag home about. When I can, I use Mac OS 9.2.2 as it is the best OS I have used in the last 40 years and I wish that Apple had upgraded it to work on newer machines instead of using OSX.
The soul purr pus of a spell cheque cur is two valley date hour ignore ants.

Steven Ventimiglia

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2020, 11:58:46 pm »
Absolutely, BeOS.  Around 1992, I once saw a set of 25 videos playing on screen, simultaneously, with another window being moved around on top of them without a single flicker.  Blew my ****in' mind.

Found this on Youtube.  Enjoy the unknown fact that Google ripped off their logo design.  ;)

https://youtu.be/cjriSNgFHsM?t=1123
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2020, 03:46:19 pm by Jason Knight »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement