CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: That was HARD...  (Read 1481 times)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
That was HARD...
« on: 2 Dec 2020, 09:48:28 am »
Good gravy I just can't seem to type right now. I just spent ~3 hours or so getting the new milestone up, and 90% of that time was spent on NOTHING but typo's. I FINALLY get the time to sit down and belt out REAL CODE, and I'm stuck with endless rookie mistakes.

I mean, I know I have parkinsons, but I didn't think it was this far along... I mean, the workstation with the model M in in pieces on the floor so I did all this on the media center, but still this was ridiculous. Quite literally it averaged a typo PER LINE in terms of missing ()[]{} or incorrect #$%^&.

Though that's part of why I want to get as much of what I know out there as soon as I can, I'm worried my ability to program is about to dissolve into nothingness.

Maybe things will get better once the media center is back up and running, but I'm not betting the farm on it.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

benanamen

Re: That was HARD...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2020, 11:21:24 am »
I already know your thoughts about it but, syntax highlighting and a good IDE would go a long ways to helping with simple mistakes. There are numerous syntax themes so you should be able to find one that suites your eyes. I use PhpStorm. It is by far the best IDE for Php out there. Not an opinion, it just is.
To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2020, 12:59:00 pm »
Sorry to hear about your health issues!

Keep up the good work when and as you can! :)
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

durango_d

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2020, 05:37:27 pm »
+1 so sorry to hear about your medical challenges...  It is def a challenge every day to try to keep the right timing to the engine. 

I struggle with it too and i am probably right behind you on the parkinsons, i have been having tremors in my feet for well over a year now and i always thought it was vibrations from traffic on the highway.   Then after speaking with my neighbor they had mentioned about it might be coming from inside me, of course im like no way, the body does not do that.... oh but it does i learned.   

I even went as far as getting a seismic ap for my phone and the next time i felt my floor vibrate in my feet i set my cell phone in the same spot and turned on the ap, nothing at all... that got me wondering if my neighbor was right.  One day i felt a very distinct vibration in the floor and i called him over to stand in the same spot, he said he felt nothing..   So i went to my doctor this last month and he set me up a apt with a neurologist and said i was probably having internal tremors. 

I read about it online and wow so many things make sense now that started happening years ago (2012) after my accident.  Hands and feet with a mind of their own.  Its starts off so subtle just like my early vibrations, most people dont even think its anything. 

I also went to the doc because i had a bad one last month it scared me.  It was like i had a cell phone in my chest and it was set to vibrate, it really freaked me out.     I guess from reading and talking to the doc that with brain injuries something deep in the brain gets jared enough that it starts to misfire when dealing with muscles in the body.   

The way i undersand it is that it can go three ways for me..... 

1. it stays the same forever and never gets any worse and if it does its not fatal, just annoying, so they say..
2. it takes a left turn to parkinsons
3. it takes a right turn to MS

But i guess i wont know any more till next may, it takes 6 months to get into see a neurologist. 

I find myself doing stuff like the the other day after i cut a 2x4 outside with my circular saw, i came back in to get a drink and i put my circular saw in the fridge and grabbed a water....  i did catch myself but other times i have not lol...   I find stuff in strange places all the time....   I know its prob not funny but i have to giggle for now at myself because its just so silly.... 

I hope they find a cure for this stuff soon, and i hope you keep those cylinders firing in order for many years to come.    :)
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2020, 05:42:36 pm by durango_d »
Squeeze it Harley! Don't yank it!  It's not your D...!  Squeeze it !

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2020, 06:51:04 pm »
I hear you on tremor. One of the medications they had me on -- Keppra -- was causing that. Went away when I stopped taking it. It's bad when the medication side effects are worse than the disease.

I know its prob not funny but i have to giggle for now at myself because its just so silly.... 

Hey, I once poured meat sauce into my glass and milk on my spaghetti.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

xmohamadx

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2020, 07:08:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that Jason Knight.
I hope you and @durango_d get better

fgm

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2020, 07:20:21 pm »
I hope you both get well, of course health comes first.

Jason, I can't thank you enough for your tireless battle in favor of web accessibility and good coding practices. You are a true inspiration for me.

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2020, 01:29:59 am »
If there’s anything I can do you only need to ask!

I’m with FGM, thank you for taking the time to steer me in the right direction and help, I have always tried to take your advice and learn from it!
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

John_Betong

• The Fastest Joke Site On The Web
« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2020, 03:19:11 am »
@Jason Knight, @durango_d,

For the past ten years I've watched a friend's health decline due to Parkinson's Disease. We have lunched together for the past five years and it has been a strenuous effort to push him around.    Bangkok is not wheelchair friendly so it helped to keep me fit :(

Personally I think my friend chose a wheelchair far too early and now it looks as though he will not be leaving the nursing home. I have also observed others and get the general impression that it pays to fight and try to ignore the pain against all illnesses.  Endeavour not to succumb because the decline is rapid and irreversible!

I won't bore you all with my current health problems suffice to say a doctor gave me only a year to live. After the operation ten years ago I am now grateful for each new day :)

So for all users who have been programming less than fifty years, be grateful and try to keep abreast of all the new innovations... it keeps your mind young and don't forget to try to keep fit, every little helps  :)
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2020, 03:53:46 am by John_Betong »
Retired in the City of Angels where the weather suits my clothes

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2020, 06:31:14 am »
Personally I think my friend chose a wheelchair far too early

It's actually one of the things they told me, is that if you stop going, you're just going to stop and go downhill fast. It's been near-on 8 years since I got diagnosed. It's why I try to stay active -- even going for 6 mile bike rides every other day. (which winter is about to put the kabosh on).

In the positive note I've lost over 80 pounds and have never been this strong in terms of normal physical labor.

Again, it's like the old joke, Americans will do anything to lose weight. ANYTHING... well, except eat right and exercise.

And exercise isn't all running and distance when it comes to parkinsons. I've gotten more benefit and more mileage out of continuing to just do things, than I did the medications. I bought a new saxophone and force myself to practice every day. I make myself type out the stuff going through my head even with the climbing difficulty curve. I continue to do board level repairs and hobby electronics.

Hell the doctor told me to go buy some lego's and use them every couple of days, and it helps. If you keep using your fine motor skills it seems to slow and even reverse early progression.

Playing cards, cooking meals that require a lot of slicing and dicing, anything and everything you can come up with to stay active in both mind and body.

Another old joke: Use it or loose it.

I don't know if it's these activities, or if I'm just lucky, but I'm doing a LOT better than most people I've known who've gone through this.  More so since I pitched the medications in the trash. I swear, the seroquel was giving me dementia.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement