CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Why SMF Software  (Read 817 times)

durango_d

Why SMF Software
« on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:54:16 am »
Hi,

I was curious why you chose SMF for your forum software.  Since i have never used it but i know alittle about you, then i assume its the better choice for security, features, and customization. 

I have always used phpBB and have never had any security issue and its very customizable, the code appears to be clean and organized, they have a pretty rigid approval process for any mods/plugins that are submitted , and there is a fine library of customization products, all free.  Yes its open source but IMO it seems to be one of the better open source products out there.

Is it that you are just used to SMF and needed to avoid the learning curve with another option, or is there something about SMF that makes it worthwhile?

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2019, 04:56:23 am by durango_d »
Squeeze it Harley! Don't yank it!  It's not your D...!  Squeeze it !

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Why SMF Software
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2019, 07:20:34 am »
I've always found SMF to be faster and to use less resources than other forums, and I have more trust for it. I only ever had one major attack on it, and that was early in SMF's product life.

One of the things about SMF I like is that the templates are just PHP files. That's how I think, that's how I work, and it's one of the things that pisses me off -- when people for no good reason slop some derpy "template system" atop a language that was created TO BE A HUFFING TEMPLATE SYSTEM! Smarty, handlebars, whatever -- incompetent trash that's just harder to work with.

If functions, variables, strings, and scope is "too hard" for people writing templates to slice up their markup with, they probably shouldn't be making templates!

The big paid forum software all tend to be utter garbage that I wonder how they have the brass to charge money for. vBull being the poster child for this. Hard to skin, painfully slow on the back-end, lacking in features out-of-box I expect out of box, etc, etc.

Not that other alternatives -- xenforo for example -- are any better. There's a reason places like DigitalPoint have to throw extra caching like Varnish at their sites resulting in an often broken experience from updates not overriding cache properly.

There's also the matter of trust, and to put it bluntly I have never trusted phpBB. That the old versions didn't  suport even the most basic of things out of box (signatures, avatars, attachments) sending people diving for third party mods, said mods neutering the upgrade path resulting in old/outdated copies remaining in circulation far past their freshness date, which is how that pesky "nevernosanity" (aka Santy) worm took down half the blasted Internet, infecting websites that weren't even running phpBB if they were even on the same host. Blasting past any alleged security between domains of shared hosting.

Sure, that was 15 years ago and most of the things that made people screw over their ability to upgrade have been fixed for over a decade, but I still just don't trust phpBB.

That and I'd have a LOT more work than I already have to drag phpBB kicking and screaming into accessibility compliance given that they derp everything together in PX. With SMF I'm comfortable deploying the vanilla skin as a stopgap when I need "the forum up yesterday".  I would have to do a new complete skin from scratch before I'd even consider putting a phpBB forum into production use.

I mean sure SMF has its own problems, but weighing all the different issues I've dealt with in forum software over the years, and observing problems other forums have, SMF remains my go-to as it has the least number of problems in the areas I care about.

Though the permission system is so powerful it's easy to get lost. It's not over-complicated, it just matches task complexity without dumbing things down any.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement