CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: "Death of traditonal CSS" because of CSS-in-JS??  (Read 606 times)

Gary-SC

"Death of traditonal CSS" because of CSS-in-JS??
« on: 14 Aug 2020, 01:17:56 am »
Can someone help me explain this article to me? I've been coming across this CSS-in-JS thing lately, but I don't understand the appeal of the approach. It sounds to me like a bozo idea by someone who doesn't understand CSS, but I still want to know why many people seem to buy into this approach.  ???

https://www.diogorodrigues.dev/blog/css-in-js-and-the-death-of-traditional-css

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
Re: "Death of traditonal CSS" because of CSS-in-JS??
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2020, 02:40:41 am »
Hi there Gary-SC,
...but I still want to know why many people seem to buy into this approach

Those who are wholeheartedly singing that bullshit's merits
have unfortunately fallen foul of the ad populum fallacy.

Check out the symptoms here...

Jason points out the correct usage of JavaScript in this article...

Good Client-side JavaScript Should ENHANCE an Already Working Page

coothead
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2020, 03:15:01 am by coothead »
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2020, 05:09:11 am »
See my reply that's waiting on moderation, that probably won't be approved because it's "confrontational" and uses "harsh language'... or at least that's the lame excuse that will be used to cover up the fact it bursts the bubble that makes up their echo-chamber of like minded head-bobbers and blow-jobbers.

And I quote:

Honestly, in most cases I consider CSS in JS to be BS the way most people use it. It violates the separation of concerns, and IMHO should only be used when the CSS in question only impacts scripting only elements.

Something that if you're writing for WEBSITES with accessibility in mind shouldn't even be a thing in the first huffing place. See how the over-use of all the derpy "frameworks" result in walking talking WCAG violations through their lack of graceful degradation. Something ultra-exacerbated by halfwitted trash like React, Vue, Angular, etc, etc, etc.

It seems to stem from the same broken mentality that makes HTML/CSS frameworks universally be a monuments to ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude.

A problem that extends to all these stupid tools that just make everything a thousand times more complex than need be.

I dunno, as I've said for near on a decade now, if people would just stop using 100k of HTML to do 16k's job. 500k of CSS in a half dozen files to do 64k in one file's job, and 2 megabytes of scripting spread out over dozens of files to do the job of 64k or less in one file assuming it even warrants the presence of JavaScript, maybe they wouldn't be so easily suckered by all these outright scam-artist "frameworks" and their BALD FACED LIES!

One of the best rules of JavaScript -- if you have to use JS to assist with your layout or style, there's something wrong in all but the rarest of corner cases. It shouldn't be any of JS' business in the first place.

But then a LOT of things people use JS for client-side really has no business being done either. Particularly as HTML and CSS become more robust.

Honestly though just look at how JavaScript is used by its die-hard fanboys. They're the ultimate example of the proverbial tradesman with a hammer, to whom everything looks like a nail. Something that started over a decade ago where beginners would ask "how do I make this link turn red on hover" on various forums and there would always be some know-nothing asshat saying "use jQuery!"

The people who seem to "live and breathe" JavaScript seem 100% determined that it's the answer to every problem, no matter how minor, and do not even seem to try seeing if HTML and CSS can do these things without it.

THEN they wonder why their sites are bloated, slow, inaccessible, and often end up sued over accessibility failings. THEN they throw a conniption fit over being told to fix it. Then I get hired and when they throw their little hissy, I get them fired.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2020, 05:15:35 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

JesseWillWreckYa

• Call me an idiot, I'm going back there...
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2020, 05:17:27 am »
THEN they wonder why their sites are bloated, slow, inaccessible, and often end up sued over accessibility failings. THEN they throw a conniption fit over being told to fix it. Then I get hired and when they throw their little hissy, I get them fired.
True story bro I've seen it first hand
Thought I knew enough. Now I have to relearn it all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement