CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Annoying HDMI/DisplayPort problem...  (Read 576 times)

GrumpyYoungMan

• Grumpy Young Man
Annoying HDMI/DisplayPort problem...
« on: 9 May 2021, 04:49:26 am »
I have dual screens one of the monitors uses a HDMI to DVI cable and the other is DisplayPort, when the computer goes to sleep and resumes all the windows appear on the primary screen.

The system seems to wake up the HDMI port first and then switches to the Primary monitor which is DisplayPort...

Any ideas or suggestions? This wasn’t a problem up until I replaced one of monitors to use DisplayPort...
Trying to learn a new trick to prove old dogs can learn new ones...

Total Novice have-a go Amateur Programmer - not sure that is the right thing to say... but trying to learn...

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Annoying HDMI/DisplayPort problem...
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2021, 12:10:28 am »
Can't say I've seen that behavior, but then I usually disable sleep because I find it to be an unreliable shit-show on EVERY blasted OS. Don't get me STARTED about having to run modprobe every damned time I boot into some flavor of linsux just to get the second display recognized and the primary display to run at anything other than 800x600. Then people wonder why I say linux and pretty much all *nix implementations haven't even caught up to winblows 98 on basic functionality.

That and displayport is just pissing me off. I don't even have any displays that support it -- not even my year old 4k 65" TV has one -- and it's a PITA to get displayport narrowed down to dual link DVI for my 27" 1440p that's the primary on my workstation.

I finally get TWO current gen video cards, and I'm having to use a half dozen dongles to turn this displayport crap with its even cheaper and rinkier connector into something actually useful.

Displayport's similarity to the cheap-ass rinky-dink tinkertoy garbage that is SATA isn't lost on me. It's sad when the people designing these connectors seem to have just one goal: Making micro USB look robust.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 12:13:43 am by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

durangod

• Weebles Wobble - but they dont fall down!
Re: Annoying HDMI/DisplayPort problem...
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2023, 02:43:21 pm »
Yes i have had a very similar issue with my tripple monitor setup.  One of the displays is connected to the default onboard intel card and the other two are connected to my GeForce card.   When i wake up the machine from sleeping, sometimes the displays are correct, but many other times i show 4 displays in my display settings (right click - display settings) menu.   I always have to click the detect button in order for it to go back to three displays.

Now if i forget and it shows 4 displays, some programs will open but they will never show up as open, its like they are locked behind the scene, very frustrating.   So i just got in the habbit of checking the display settings after wake up every time.

Now i did contact both windows tech and also posted on several windows forums but to this day have not found a solution, and its been years. 

My gut feeling tells me that since one is connected to the onboard card which boots first but is not the primary display, the system gets confused sometimes or one loads before another is actually active, something like that.   So it adds a fake display to compensate.  And yes the onboard card display uses displayport as well. I even tried it using the DVI connection, same thing.

I used to think it was displayfusion multi display software causing it but i tried it with it removed and still the same thing.  So im thinking it has to be something regarding connections and booting order im thinking.   I guess i could go into the config and set the GeForce to boot first but i just never did.

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2023, 02:50:59 pm by durangod »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement