CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Using CSS not  (Read 345 times)

durangod

• Weebles Wobble - but they dont fall down!
Using CSS not
« on: 22 Dec 2023, 11:15:49 pm »
So i am playing around with css not as i have never used it before and it could come in very handy at times.  But i am having an issue with it in my editor (ace)

Code: [Select]

//this one gives me errors
   //dont use adjoining classes
   //the first line is line 123
   // Expected LBRACE line 123 col 53
   //and unexpected token ')' line 123 col 53
.windowbg.solved:not(.sticky, .locked, .approvetopic) {
    background: #340909;
}

//however if i do them all individually it works no errors just a info warning about adjoining classes

.windowbg.solved:not(.sticky) {
}

.windowbg.solved:not(.locked) {
}

.windowbg.solved:not(.approvetopic) {
}

I do see in the docs that the first example is syntax correct. I thought maybe there might somehow be an invisible character in there but i typed it by hand so that is not the issue. 

Is that not proper syntax or is it my stupid editor that is the issue?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2023, 11:18:04 pm by durangod »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Using CSS not
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2023, 11:09:23 am »
What have I told you about what editors think about what is or is not proper code? Stuff like this should be NONE of your editors huffing business!

Honestly this is the type of thing that shows why auto-complete, syntax highlighting, and IDE's in general are NOT your friend. Again, false simplicity. The proverbial ILLUSION of safety.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2023, 02:21:17 pm by Jason Knight »
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

durangod

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2023, 05:15:32 pm »
This editor does not have popups and stuff like that, its a bare bones editor, basically just a tad more than notepad.  They have an option for an actual html editor but i have not heard nice things about it over the years, may be good now but that seed is planted lol  So i just use the normal edit, you know how cPanel is sometimes.

I just dont want to install all that stuff locally, too much headache and too much maintenance.   Usually i can find a work around in cases like that and i did but it pretty dang stupid when an editor shoots you errors when the syntax is perfect...   Maybe i should try their html editor to see if its improved.

When i saw your first reply i thought of the bar scene in goodfellas when jimmy was on them about buying cars and fur coats "what did i tell ya, what did i tell ya"  hee hee
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2023, 06:36:34 pm by durangod »

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2023, 05:55:11 pm »
... you know how cPanel is sometimes.

I have never used cPanel and had to do a search to find out what it actually was.

Didn't stay long though. 

coothead
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2023, 06:01:18 pm by coothead »
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

durangod

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2023, 07:00:49 pm »
lol coothead  :)

Yeah its just a server panel for those that dont want to remember all the server commands to do stuff via command line (remember DOS) somewhat similar..   There are two major players, cPanel and Plesk.  There are also free panels UI (User Interface) one can install but some of those you get what you pay for.  Some are better than others, some require you to know everything but you can use the UI to do it, and some require alot less knowledge about commands just click and go with no real eye candy.  But what is eye candy anyway right.

When i had my Dedicated server i spent so much time either updating dependencies (updates and stuff we had to have loaded) and researching commands because i did not use a panel, it was worth it to find a panel . For the most part once you get a server up and running alot of it is taken care of but there is enough to still do and its alot of typing to do it via command line.

Panels make everything easier, they handle all that command line stuff for you, even to just edit a file via command line is more troublesome than you might think.    I decided on cPanel because i think its the lessor of evils. It has its issues as well, its a corp bloated for profit company and like all of those kinds of companies the relationship with the consumer has changed since the early days (when they were hungry for business) if you know what i mean.  But i find the UI layout simple and organized much better than Plesk IMO.   

Both of the major players have panels that you can do just about everything with, there are still some things from time to time that might need adjusting via command line. Those things  are either done by customer support from the share hosting company if you ask them, or if you have a VPS or a Dedicated server you can log into the command line and do it yourself. 

VPS is Virtual Private Server -  they just take a disk and chop it up into little pieces digitally and each piece becomes a server on its own with its own environment.  Its an inexpensive way to have a server environment without paying for a dedicated server. A  dedicated server you have the whole space to yourself with noone else on the server but you.   Most dedicated servers come with the OS installed already and then you take it from there.  They also have what is called a bare metal server which means that it comes with nothing (disk is empty), they turn it on and you take it from there. 

When you hear the word colocation it just means where is the server located, usually its a city name.  They have cages in colocations where you can rent a cage if you are local and you have secured access to walk in and set up your server in the cage and then lock the cage when you are done.  Or they have pre-setup servers you can rent of all kinds and specs.   

Anyway sorry i didnt explain, sometimes we assume everyone knows what we are talking about.   :)

PS also i did find out there html editor is disable for everything other than html files, no css, no php nothing but html ext files can be edited... so no im not using that poopy stuff.

« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2023, 07:08:27 pm by durangod »

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2023, 05:08:27 pm »
Hi there durangod,

I use FileZilla®, the free FTP solution to connect to my
server. It is a perfect solution for my simple requirements.

I forgot to point out that I am just an amateur with a
love for problem solving who, twenty years or so ago,
discovered a plethora of coding forums which provided
me with the wherewithal to satisfy most of my desires. 

coothead

durangod

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2023, 06:26:16 pm »
Thats great i think we are the few and the proud and the underdogs and i respect people like us very much.  Now speaking for myself, i dont have the natural born talent for this that everything makes sense all at once.  Sometimes yes after a while i do get it. But some people even a few we both know seem to be able to pick up a technical coding manual or look at a google api docs page and say "oh ok easy peasy" that is not me by far, they just get it. 

The "it" that i am referring to is the common relationship between one language or framework and another just by immediate comprehension, again that is not me.  I do understand that all languages have 3 things, input, processing, output and of some kind for all three.  Compared to others we know, that is about as far  as it goes, but i am learning slowly, ill get it too one day, not as awesome as they do but ill get it.  I do understand servers to a point as well, but if you ask me about nodes or interfaces or piping one to another or partitioning a disk, thats why they have smart people to do those things, thats not me.

When i had my very first server i locked myself out of it (as many admins do their first time around) and the support said i could get back in by mounting the drive and doing this and that, i had no clue how to do that stuff and i  googled it all only to be so far down the rabbit hole i forgot where i started.   So they had to wipe the drive and we had to start all over again.  That was two weeks into setting it up and i lost all that time because of a stupid mistake and not having the right knowledge.   What i learned from that is never ever ever shut down the root user login and logoff until you are 100% sure that you can log in with putty with your new username and pass, and sudo over to root user with no issues. 

Yeah it seems you have what meets your needs and that is fine for your situation.  I am sure you probably know that just plain jane filezilla normal ftp is not protected, there could be a middle man attach from what i understand, never happened to me but that is what i have heard.   A middleman is someone that can get between you and your server and wait for a transmission and then modify those packets for their own use. 

And kind of secure ftp is better than a naked ftp....  just sharing :0

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:22:57 pm »

I am sure you probably know that just plain jane filezilla normal ftp
is not protected, there could be a middle man attach from what I
understand, never happened to me but that is what I have heard. 
 A middleman is someone that can get between you and your server
and wait for a transmission and then modify those packets for their
own use. 

If you ever happened to look at my site, as a potential middleman
of course, I think that you would then quickly move on to something 
of much more use to middlemen - whatever that may be.

coothead

durangod

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:27:42 pm »
LMAO.....  your tooo funny....   :)

I am not worried about someone hacking my site for my stuff, i am worried they may use my site to get to a bigger fish on the server.   

Did you know you can look to see who else is on your server with you....

https://www.dnsqueries.com/en/ip_neighbors.php
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2023, 07:32:42 pm by durangod »

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:42:41 pm »
Hi there durangod,

have a  quick peeep - ( it won't take long ) - at my site...

https://www.coothead.co.uk

...in the guise of a middleman and you will see that
my assertion really is true.

coothead
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2023, 07:47:15 pm by coothead »

durangod

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:44:47 pm »
lol your right, hard to argue with that....  page cant be found is pretty secure i would say.   

You were serious lol  :)

durangod

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:52:26 pm »
I found it you posted a typo lol.... 

I love the traffic light, wow you just took a wide container and narrowed it, and then used a ul list for the lights and what about the numbers with no class or id i dont understand that part.

26.5% {
    /* background: #333; */
}

thats interesting

target example is nice and clean as well.... really crisp looking

love the electrical switch too....   i am going to build an image gallery soon for the sight, is that available or is that a private example?
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2023, 07:58:36 pm by durangod »

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2023, 08:13:25 pm »
...page cant be found is pretty secure i would say.   

Hi there durangod,

Sorry about that  typo

The link that you gave showed this result...
Results for checks on 2.24.62.248
I cannot find any result for the query

Quote from: durangod l

..what about the numbers with no class or id I don't understand that part.

26.5% {
    /* background: #333; */
}

They are the duration values - ( as a percentage of the animation time )  -
 used in conjunction with...

coothead

coothead

• I smile benignly
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2023, 08:20:29 pm »
I am going to build an image gallery soon for the site,
is that available or is that a private example?

Everything on my site is free for the taking.

coothead

durangod

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2023, 08:38:32 pm »
Wow thats a first that it could find anything, i did the domain too and nothing... wow maybe your on the server all by yourself lol....  i suspect the server is sitting on your pc thats why.... :)

Thanks ill look at more stuff....   you know that is like cleaning a spot on the wall, now i have to clean the whole wall hee hee

never did animation, ill have to investigate more of that and how that works....   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement