CUTCODEDOWN
Minimalist Semantic Markup

Welcome Guest
Please Login or Register

If you have registered but not recieved your activation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, or have issues with using the registration form, please use our Contact Form for assistance. Include both your username and the e-mail you tried to register with.

Author Topic: Stop Firefox from auto downloading clicks on RSS links  (Read 192 times)

durangod

• Weebles Wobble - but they dont fall down!
Stop Firefox from auto downloading clicks on RSS links
« on: 12 Dec 2023, 11:19:08 pm »
Hi,

Anyone know how to stop FireFox from auto downloading RSS links on click.   Chrome does not do it, but dont know how to stop Firefox.   I know i can set it to always ask but i want it to download the things set as downloads just not RSS which are in a basic anchor tag.

DS it does the same on your site(Chrome vrs Firefox)

ps (coothead did you get my PM here?)

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2023, 11:22:45 pm by durangod »

Jason Knight

• Administrator
    • CutCodeDown -- Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Stop Firefox from auto downloading clicks on RSS links
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2023, 11:49:54 pm »
Generally since FF has no real means of managing or parsing RSS, what exactly would you have it do with it?

NOT that I even think about RSS anymore. I mean in terms of actual users does anyone other than "data scrapers" -- aka content thieves -- ACTUALLY rely on it anymore?
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

durangod

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2023, 03:28:47 am »
I have not used it other than adding it to my projects.  I have read several articles lately and the overall feeling is that i began its decline in the early 2000 and has declined ever since.  There still some sites that use it but it has gone from a necessity to rarety, even the big G removed its reader and has nothing to do with RSS over the last few years.   

So i was not aware of this and i saw it on your site so i added it to mine.   Are you going to do the same as the big G and remove it from your sites as well ?

durangod

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2023, 06:02:09 pm »
Someone suggested this to me

https://superuser.com/questions/1760445/firefox-display-rss-feed-in-firefox-as-text

However none of the extensions that i found were monitored by Mozilla for security so until i find one that is then i will just let it be.  :)

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2023, 07:56:01 pm »
ps (coothead did you get my PM here?)

Yes, I did and have just, belatedly, replied to it.

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

durangod

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2023, 09:55:00 pm »
Wow i never seen anything like that, EVER!   I have seen bots hit a site but never ever like that...  that is extreme...

I totally understand and i will, when the time comes invite everyone i know ?    Thinking young works sometimes, but not all the time right :)   Thanks for the reply.  :)

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2023, 07:18:50 am »
So i was not aware of this and i saw it on your site so i added it to mine.   Are you going to do the same as the big G and remove it from your sites as well ?
It's actually not on any of my sites other than these forums, and that's because it was built into SMF and required no effort on my part. It's just enabled by default and I never messed with it.

I was never actually a fan.
We are all, we are all, we are all FRIENDS! For today we're all brothers, tonight we're all friends. Our moment of peace in a war that never ends.

Jason Knight

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2023, 07:21:10 am »
Wow i never seen anything like that, EVER!   I have seen bots hit a site but never ever like that...  that is extreme...
There's a reason I highly recommend this:

https://cleantalk.org/smf-anti-spam-mod

Unless you can afford a staff of 10 moderator to every 100 legitimate daily users, you'll never keep up with it without something like that blindly swinging the banhammer.

coothead

• I smile benignly
    • coothead's stuff ~ an eclectic collection
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2023, 09:39:39 am »
Wow i never seen anything like that, EVER!   
I have seen bots hit a site but never ever like that...  that is extreme...

It wasn't bots.
I was a moderator.

coothead
~ the original bald headed old fart ~

durangod

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2023, 10:27:22 am »
DS i was not talking about my site, he showed me a link to another site.  But yes i will get that anti spam asap. 

Coothead, yeah i pretty much had a feeling, but wanted to be graceful about it...  :)   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

Advertisement